Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: The Rollie Tesh Analysis Thread.
Replies: 175   Views: 447,272   Pages: 12   Last Post: May 25, 2010, 6:21 AM by: up2ng

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 175   Views: 447,272   Pages: 12   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
rollietesh

Re: The Rollie Tesh Analysis Thread.
Posted: May 10, 2010, 1:27 AM

up2ng,

I look forward to addressing the interesting issues you raise after the 15th. Though I will say that since you guys all played something different, there does not yet seem to be a definitive win against 7)...L8

Your move 8) M6 is a novelty, yes? An interesting move that I need a little more time on.

Soon,
Rollie

richardiii

Posted: May 10, 2010, 2:57 AM

Game #9

M6 huh? k then white-> M7

r3

rollietesh

Posted: May 10, 2010, 3:09 AM

up2ng,

I'll try this first:

GAME 8

8) M6, K9

If 9) M7 then 9) ... N7

Rollie

rollietesh

Posted: May 10, 2010, 3:52 AM

richardiii,

GAME 9

8) ... M6
9) M7, P9*

Rollie

rollietesh

Posted: May 10, 2010, 5:56 AM

zoeyk,

Some of this is starting to come back to me. In GAME 7, the alternative move 8) ... O10 I remember analyzing to some kind of controversial conclusion. Looking at it again this move seems to give Black some chances, and is now my preferred move.

You have likely spent some time already analyzing my previous routine 8) ... O9, so let's go ahead and play that one out. Is it okay if we start one more with the preferred line?:

GAME 10 (same as GAME 7, except:

8) O6, O10

Rollie

Message was edited by: rollietesh at May 9, 2010 11:57 PM

up2ng

Posted: May 10, 2010, 2:43 PM

I would say that the common thought around here is that there is a definitive win for white after 7 ... L8 although some of the variations turn out to be very complicated. I'm sure some people can dig up and link to some excellent games in the database -- a line involving virag comes to mind, and I'm sure there are several other great examples.

I think we are trying different moves mostly for analysis purposes since zoey has already played the move that has shown to be a win for Player 1. (at least I was under the impression that this was "the move" that everyone plays now) I've also seen either 8. M9 (I think) work pretty well too -- I'm not sure which top players prefer this approach, karlw maybe? Maybe someone can post some database links afterwards with this idea also.

I guess you could call my idea of 8. M6 a novelty, I've certainly never seen it before. Of course, it's probably a bad idea to be playing novelties as white! I did not study it very closely so it could turn out to just be a foolish idea, but so far it is actually playing out the way I thought so maybe that's a good sign? We'll see...

GAME 8
8. M6, K9
9. M7, N7
10.K7

up2ng

Posted: May 10, 2010, 2:48 PM

I've just updated the diagram for GAME 8. I haven't had a chance yet to go back and update the rest of the diagrams for this thread for all of the games and alternate variations we've been exploring. Zoey, if you get some time please feel free to do so and make your own comments for the games if you have any. I'm barely keeping up with the diagrams for my own games right now and have not had a chance to catch up on the rest of the thread. Rollie had made some excellent suggestions way back on page 4 or 5 about getting them well organized and since then I have not had a chance to implement those suggestions. I know you don't always have big blocks of time these days either so if you can't get to it I'll eventually update it when I have a chance.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: May 10, 2010, 8:36 PM

Rollie, my moves will be done in the boards them selves.
notation above the board will be present. you will find i have moved. this is to eliminate the problem of too many posts, too much confusion to sort out.

i was originally thinking that up2ng and myself would post our moves in the board's post continually updating via the edit button.
and that you, rollie, would make a singular post below that post updating all of your moves via edit button.
this would consolidate all transactions of move data between 3 players with in 2 posts. this brings forth a clarity for not only the readers, but for the players as well.

with richard entering the equation we can continue the idea with 3 posts containing all necessary data.

Message was edited by: zoeyk at May 10, 2010 5:00 PM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
watsu

Home page
Posted: May 10, 2010, 11:28 PM

I'll be interested in seeing how this all turns out. If I were asked to bet on the results I'd say I'd go with at least 2/3 wins for P1 here based simply on the time to analyse moves and the high caliber of the players in that seat. Zk's move is the only one in the db explored in great depth, which makes a certain amount of sense, since if it is indeed a sure win for p1 as the current thinking has it, then looking further afield is unnecessary. Up2ng mentions M9, which does indeed seem to be an alternative which was favored by karlw for awhile, but nosovs has 2 p2 wins against that line against high caliber players, so it might not pan out so well... hard to tell, since it probably hasn't been picked to pieces by many players like the more popular line.
Anyway, I find it interesting that Up2ng and Richardiii feel p1's position may be strong enough here to allow for more than one sure winning move for P1 at this point. And, I think I found the virag line which up2ng mentioned. The proposed lines by Rollie have probably diverged from it sufficiently so that it could be posted, but I'll refrain for now just in case. If it is indeed the game up was referring to, I'll just say that virag apparently made a mistake in the first playing of it and then corrected the next time through the line.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rollietesh

Posted: May 11, 2010, 12:57 AM

watsu,

Excellent comments. I look forward to responding to everyone's after I get past this project around the 15th.

Rollie

rollietesh

Posted: May 11, 2010, 1:01 AM

zoeyk,

Sounds good on all plans. There is one or two past games that still need resolution as well, I think. Also, are you up for the proposed GAME 10? I now think that 8) ... O10 is Black's best shot in this line.

GAME 7

9) M9, M10

Rollie

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: May 11, 2010, 2:05 AM

ok i moved, and rollie, perhaps you should post the game of you vs rich,.. so u can edit it in case im not available.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: May 11, 2010, 2:14 AM

ok so i have yet another variation to present.

rollietesh

Posted: May 11, 2010, 2:48 AM

zoeyk,

Interesting new variation. I'll respond soon.

Not sure what you mean here:

>>and rollie, perhaps you should post the game of you vs rich<<

EDIT: I understand better now. You mean for me to post a new diagram for the game with Rich? Okay, although wasn't there some reason why this needed to be done by someone with admin access? Or there was some concern about including the move-scroll. Or some reason why it needed to be you or up2ng.

Rollie

Message was edited by: rollietesh at May 10, 2010 8:56 PM

rollietesh

Posted: May 11, 2010, 2:50 AM

up2ng,

GAME 8

9. M7, N7
10.K7, N10

Rollie

Replies: 175   Views: 447,272   Pages: 12   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Back to Topic List