Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Elite Pente Masters 2010 Tourney -AKA- Bring your B game - 2010 Tourney
Replies: 77   Views: 257,679   Pages: 6   Last Post: Oct 1, 2010, 1:56 AM by: happyj0

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 77   Views: 257,679   Pages: 6   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
happyj0

Re: Elite Pente Masters 2010 Tourney
Posted: Aug 8, 2010, 5:52 AM

p.s. It is a good thing I am bringing my "B game"....

))

homebrew

Re: Elite Pente Masters 2010 Tourney
Posted: Aug 8, 2010, 8:51 PM

With the vaunted Homebrew in his bracket, I can feel Nosovs shaking in his boots in Russia all the way from Texas!! I've got him sufficiently overconfident by running up an 0-4 record against him. Now is the time to spring my trap!

Seriously, I'll be happy to not get DAL (Dead *** Last)in my bracket

If only we could've gotten brf, lanser, jayhawk, and s3v3n in on the fun, but oh well, looks like a top-flight tourney and should make for some interesting pente. Good luck to all, especially the cannon fodder like me

rollietesh

Re: Elite Pente Masters 2010 Tourney -AKA- Bring your B game - 2010 Tourney
Posted: Aug 9, 2010, 10:42 PM

Hi everyone,

As has been discussed behind the scenes for a couple of weeks, there was an increasing chance that I will not be able to play.

I waited until the last second to decide because I do want to play very much. Unfortunately, other priorities are making that impossible for me at this particular time.

Very sorry, but I have no choice but to withdraw before things start. Even if I had been able to at least start, it is certain that I will not be able to finish.

I write this with great regrets and wish everyone else a great tournament.

Rollie

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 10, 2010, 1:42 AM

hi rollie,
its a sad loss for us to have you go, but i understand.
i hope all goes well in your project, and hopefully you will find time to spectate us. perhaps we will catch you in the future.

best regards,
zoey

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 10, 2010, 1:45 AM

with that said,

we are at the 24 hour mark and counting down.
some people have a plan, and some are scrambling at the last second to study their section. and some are just bringing their B game lol

good luck to all players, and see you on the battle fields.

zoeyk

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 10, 2010, 12:17 PM

Tourney links here

to view the tourney sections go here;
http://brainking.com/en/Tournaments?tri=598031#1

to view running games go here;
http://brainking.com/en/Tournaments?tri=598031&sadb=1

to view the tourney forum at bk go here;
http://brainking.com/en/Board?bc=90039

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Aug 10, 2010 7:30 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 10, 2010, 1:36 PM

so we had a couple things go wrong so far. which should be resolved here shortly by fencer.

1 - homebrew got kicked for too many games. he has now bought member ship and will be added to the tourney.

2 - the tourneys format was wrong. instead of single set (2 games) per opponent per section, it was set to 2 sets (4 games) per opponent per section. this will be fixed soon to.

fencer will resolve these issues by resetting the tourney and editing it.

im hoping for a 24 hour turn around on this.

homebrew

Posted: Aug 10, 2010, 8:46 PM

To all in the tourney, sorry about that and thanks for waiting on me. I'd miscalculated the number of games I needed to clear. Bonehead move on my part.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 11, 2010, 2:49 AM

bad news home brew,.. you can read my post at the bk forum to see my thoughts about fencer in his helpless respose to our situation. the guy sounds lazy for someone who is raking in thousands of dollars per year from hundreds of players... and its just toooo much for him to click a mouse to cancel a tourney so that we can reset it.
i want my money back! i paid him close to $100 this year to do this tourney,.. i bought 2 member ships to upgrade so i could run this event. an event with no support from him,.. and a set up page for the tourney thats anything but intuitive especially for a newby first timer like my self trying to make heads or tails of it.

BK is getting 2 big thumbs down from me, until fencer can man up and help out his paying customers.

zoeyk

happyj0

Posted: Aug 11, 2010, 4:22 AM

homebrew,

I only wish I had checked out your profile recently so I could have warned you not to play more than 8 games at a time.

I'm sure that you can challenge nosovs and zoey again, and I'm perfectly "happy" to play you again once my openings are done from the second game of each set I am playing.

Zoey, I already posted my response over at BK. All I can say is that it sounds like you did all that you could; Fencer dropped the ball big time. I'll leave it at that.

I'm sorry Rollie Tesh couldn't play. Hopefully I can give Richard a run for his money so that he won't feel like it was a total waste of his time.

homebrew

Posted: Aug 11, 2010, 12:57 PM

Hey Zoey, thanks for all your trouble and trying to help me out. Should still be a great tournament.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Aug 11, 2010, 6:41 PM

As I posted in the discussion board, I'm concerned about the length of time commitment involved in playing two sequential sets. If they were running simultaneously, at least the first round could be expected to finish in 3-4 months (say). Now, it's looking like a commitment to 1/2 year or more just for the first round. I was already concerned about my ability to commit for a lengthy period of TB play, but now it has doubled! I don't have a particular attachment to my BK rating and userID, so I can always bow out if necessary without it being a major blow. However, if I do find myself needing to bow out, I'll consider it a shame, since I'd like to see how I manage to do.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 12, 2010, 12:19 AM

i predict section 1 will finish in a month, well shreadermann might prevent that, but the others are moving right along at 1-2 moves each per day. not bad.
and there are a couple others in the other sections that also are making fast moves.

there will always be those who take forever to move and hold up the tourney. where they use 35 days vacation before placing the first stone. these players should be taken out and shot in my opinion, .

any how,.. if you finish up your games early,.. you can take a long break while waiting for the slow players to finish.

like nosovs said, "turn based is 5 minutes a day if you like". and we always say we don't have time year after year, yet we are here year after year miraculously finding ample time to read forums, make comments, view db games, pop into the lobby for a live set, or to chat at the tables,...
to be honest,.. and i expect no one to agree with me here,.. but i feel that sometimes we humans (usually men) fear commitment,.. for various reasons i might add.
im not accusing any one of this,.. just throwing it out there

zoeyk

happyj0

Posted: Aug 12, 2010, 5:05 AM

watsu,

I predict that Karl will play faster than you. If your sets with him drag on, it will likely be your fault.

Based on my limited games with aaru, I predict he'll move in timely fashion.

I don't know about dein or pentak.

By the time you play your 3rd and 4th games with those two players, your games will likely be spread out, and you'll likely only have to face maybe one tough opening move per couple of days, tops. Tops. Once you get of the opening phase it is doubtful, but possible I admit, that you'll have any move that will make you take up too much time.

Of course I have no idea what scheduling needs your "real life" requires, so I may be way off base here. But I suspect the burden on you from this tourney will be far less than you fear. We can only hope.

Stick it out, and if worse comes to worst, just bring your "b game", like the title says. After all, you say that rating points don't matter to you....

watsu

Home page
Posted: Aug 12, 2010, 11:15 PM

ok, sorry, I'll quit whining...

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 77   Views: 257,679   Pages: 6   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Back to Topic List