Home » Forum Home » Development

Topic: Applet bug and/or networking issue
Replies: 2   Views: 23,353   Pages: 1   Last Post: Mar 26, 2007, 7:55 AM by: americanj

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 2   Views: 23,353   Pages: 1  
americanj

Applet bug and/or networking issue
Posted: Mar 25, 2007, 7:24 PM

Is this the right place to report problems with the applet? Well, I guess you can tell me if it's not

I've tried live play against other players a few times recently and in all cases I've had to shutdown the applet and relaunch/rejoin in order to finish. Sometimes 5 or 6 times in a game. What happens is that I will click to make my move but the applet doesn't show it in the move list and the stone doesn't 'stick' to where I clicked it. In every case so far when I rejoin the move I tried to make is actually registered in the game.

In one case I was clicking about in extreme frustration and not only did it register my initial move click but my opponent made a response and one of my random move clicks registered as my move. I didn't see any of this until I did the shutdown/restart/rejoin (and my opponent was nice enough to let me undo).

Up until now I've been playing mostly against the AI opponents and while I have seen this problem in AI games, it seems to happen much more when I'm playing another person.

I'll be happy to help with any troubleshooting or debugging. Let me know.

nodnarbo

Re: Applet bug and/or networking issue
Posted: Mar 26, 2007, 5:02 AM

sounds to me like your internet connection keeps cutting out. Do you know that it happens more in games against real people? have you done enough games to really know for sure?

americanj

Re: Applet bug and/or networking issue
Posted: Mar 26, 2007, 7:55 AM

I don't think it's a question of my internet connection cutting out. Clearly there was network connectivity since it always received my moves even though it didn't show them right away. Also, I had other internet activity going on which didn't show any signs of interruption.

My router box runs smokeping against my ISP's gateway and a couple of servers I have colocated and there was no packet loss or unusual latency in the graphs.

It did happen, albeit less noticeably, against the AI so it could be just bad luck that it happened more against real people. I don't have a large enough sample size to be certain of that.

Replies: 2   Views: 23,353   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]