Home » Forum Home » Help

Topic: Game DB question
Replies: 8   Views: 26,980   Pages: 1   Last Post: Apr 9, 2019, 1:24 PM by: haijinx

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 8   Views: 26,980   Pages: 1  
karlw

Game DB question
Posted: Mar 12, 2019, 3:22 AM

I see that you now need to be a pente.org subscriber to have access to the amazing pente board and game database here. I'm very much for that and I paid for a month's subscription already. However, sometimes I just want to use the board to play out moves on, without even checking the database. I can't find a good analysis board anywhere on the internet except here. Would it be possible to allow non-subscribers to use just the board while still keeping the database locked?

rainwolf

Home page
Re: Game DB question
Posted: Mar 12, 2019, 8:17 PM

Watsu mentioned wanting to use a practice board to play out scenarios during turn-based games, but if I understand correctly, you're talking about using a blank board for analysis.

karlw

Posted: Mar 12, 2019, 8:55 PM

No I think watsu and I are talking about the same thing. What's the difference in your mind? I just want a board where you can play out the moves of the game, and it records captures etc. for you. Something like this, but for pente (minus the database info, of course, if you're not a subscriber):

https://lichess.org/analysis

Now it would be amazing if there was a way to track variations like on that site, but really all I want is a 19x19 board that registers and keeps track of captures according to the rules of pro-pente. Everything else is gravy.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Mar 12, 2019, 10:19 PM

Got it, I'll put it on my ToDo list but I'd like to focus on an browser-based game room first, and get to this either after or maybe in between.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Mar 12, 2019, 10:28 PM

How about the download of the powerful pente program linked from the important threads section of the forum?
I'm using it to flag moves of interest to me for boat pente exploration. Seems like a possible option. I don't know whether or not it's just usable for PCs or if Mac users can participate as well...

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Mar 12, 2019, 10:32 PM

Dweebo opensourced that a while ago, you can find it here. I don't know if it builds though, or if you can build it on anything other than windows, but it's Java after all, so it just might.

haijinx

Home page
Posted: Mar 13, 2019, 5:44 PM

A good practice board that can save and track variations would be very useful. I sorely miss ExaChess features whenever I work with Pente.

karlw

Posted: Apr 8, 2019, 11:49 PM

@haijinx:

https://pente.org/gameServer/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=34&threadID=230216&tstart=0

Enjoy.

haijinx

Home page
Posted: Apr 9, 2019, 1:24 PM

I'd run across it, but the file is an EXE and I'm all Mac around here. That's one reason I used ExaChess, as the big name chess dbs at the time were non-Mac.

Is there a Mac solution for this Pente program?

I've found the source that dweebo has online. I've thought about asking my son to try to recompile it for me but I hate to reinvent the wheel and there might be an easier path.

Replies: 8   Views: 26,980   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]