Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: New move concept?
Replies: 6   Views: 2,353   Pages: 1   Last Post: Sep 19, 2023, 2:23 AM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 6   Views: 2,353   Pages: 1  
zoeyk

Home page
New move concept?
Posted: Sep 13, 2023, 12:30 AM

Not sure if this is a new move concept.
But here, on move 5 I needed to make a move but wasn't sure yet where. So I plopped my stone to the corner of the db, and played as if I was white, to see what white could would try to do. I saw white doing a series of 3s, white makes which leads to white winning. I then back track slowly 1 move at a time asking, at any point where would a extra black stone help stop this VCT? When I reach back to move 11, I realized with extra stone black could steal the initiative back. This is how I decided my 5th move. 1- I used a method called reverse engineering. This concept been around, well at least I been using it for a decade +. 2- here my move is 6 moves in advance of answering a future 3. I feel this preemptive long term move could deserve a name. I have several ideas. But ill leave that up to discussion if you guys like.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare

zoeyk

Home page
Re: New move concept?
Posted: Sep 13, 2023, 12:30 AM

Bump

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
nedhall17

Posted: Sep 13, 2023, 1:04 AM

That's a lovely example! Definitely agree that this deserves a name. I feel like there must be some apt term from, say, military planning -- maybe "reconnaissance"?

pente_gon

Posted: Sep 14, 2023, 12:16 AM

Interesting move but there was white VCT. I think 9. K12 is better option than O8.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 14, 2023, 2:21 AM

Yes, but I knew what level of sight my opponent had. I felt strongly he would move how he did. So I designed move for what I thought he would actually do, not what was possible through creative thinking at higher level. No offense jhs.
One of pente rules is, know thy opponent.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 14, 2023, 5:31 AM

But, I think for the purpose of the post it not matter if my move was sure win or not. Just, it matters that I make point about the concept. Of not only putting stone to side, playing as opponent and slowly reversing moves to see where 2 of black stones should go.. but to make a move which is to stay inactive for many moves until the opponents initiative finally triggers it into action. There have been many games like this over the years, but this was most recently played and easy to find, so I used this one to illustrate my point.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 19, 2023, 2:23 AM

I believe the move can also be called Yobi. A Japanese term, which in Renju means a pausing move, where the opponent hasn't a forcing 3, or 4, or fukumi, or other immediate threats. I suppose VCT or threat of 5th capture as well.

Here tho Pgon noted that white had a VCT, so I suppose its a false Yobi move. Still an ok example to get a thought across tho imho.

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Sep 19, 2023, 2:23 AM

Replies: 6   Views: 2,353   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]