Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: Illustrating the difference between live and turn based games
Replies: 1   Views: 32,616   Pages: 1   Last Post: Apr 1, 2019, 7:46 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 1   Views: 32,616   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
Illustrating the difference between live and turn based games
Posted: Apr 1, 2019, 6:20 PM

What are some of the most interesting positions you've seen which illustrate how different live timed games are from turn based games where one has the option to analyse the position at leisure? I found the following game interesting, because P1 is headed for a sure win at the end and simply needed to continue to make the open 4 to win with 17. K11. However, because of the cross capture making a four and making the open 4 with 17. K11 preventing a capture at K11 across P2's open 4 player 1 instead opted for 17. G6.
17. F12 looks more promising if one misses the sure win... perhaps time was a factor in this end game.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

watsu

Home page
Re: Illustrating the difference between live and turn based games
Posted: Apr 1, 2019, 7:46 PM

I think the following game was definitely one of the most interesting live games I've watched - not just for the historical reason of it being the only game rolllietesh played here (at least with that nickname) but also purely for the game itself and the atmosphere in the room during the game.
Rollie was naming off coordinate positions at one point, apparently choices for his next move, but I mistook one for a possible play for zoeyk. Of course, I had to bite my fingers to keep from typing anything until after the game was over, but it would have become quite an interesting game indeed had zoeyk made the move 7. ... L11. Later several of us spent an hour or two looking at all the ways that move might have unfolded further and though we eventually concluded it would result in a P2 loss with best play by P1, some of the lines were quite tricky and in a live game would have been hard to visualize.

There are other interesting what ifs? to explore in this game as well... in fact finding a sure win for P2 might make a good puzzle, hmmm...

More analysis of this game as well as others can be found in the "rollie tesh is browsing pente.org?" forum thread @
https://pente.org/gameServer/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=4561&start=0

Message was edited by: watsu at Apr 1, 2019 9:57 PM

Message was edited by: watsu at Apr 4, 2019 5:48 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 1   Views: 32,616   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]