Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: Pente Tourney
Replies: 71   Views: 169,478   Pages: 5   Last Post: Jan 29, 2017, 6:25 PM by: madmike

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 71   Views: 169,478   Pages: 5   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
richardiii

Re: Video announcement, Pente Tourney
Posted: Nov 4, 2015, 3:23 AM

I may have missed it, so could you post the format for the tour? Is it a divided bracket, or what?

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 4, 2015, 5:25 AM

I don't know, but I think it will divide into 2. It's double elim. So, view past tourneys for examples. Don't know what else to say or show.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 4, 2015, 5:36 AM

I suppose its possible that in bracket 1 it could be

zoeyk vs data22

Richardiii vs karlw

Etc...

So,..hmmm

Rainwolf did say he could start the tourney, to see, then cancel it and set it up again, but that just made me nervious for some reason. What do you guys think?

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
be_water

Posted: Nov 4, 2015, 8:16 AM

After reading the rules for a double elimination tournament on this site I've come to the understanding that it will be like this.

Round 1
24 players in 0 loss group
0 players in 1 loss group
0 players eliminated

Round 2
12 players in 0 loss group
12 players in 1 loss group
0 players eliminated

Round 3
6 players in 0 loss group
12 players in 1 loss group
6 players eliminated

Round 4
3 players in 0 loss group (highest ranked gets bye)
9 players in 1 loss group (highest ranked gets bye)
12 players eliminated

Round 5
2 players in 0 loss group
6 players in 1 loss group
16 players eliminated

Round 6 and on
There will be 5 players not eliminated overall and it seems like the highest ranked is gonna have two byes
that will take them to the final with the other players battling out. Also the player that came out on top in
the 0 loss group will still need to lose twice to be eliminated

I'm guessing the pairings will be highest ranked vs lowest ranked for the 0 loss group which will give players the predictable bracket look where they can narrow down who they will be playing in the next round to two players and the round after that to four and so on with powers of two.

From what I read the algorithm for the pairings for the one loss group will try to prevent players from replaying each other. Because of this and the fact that new players will be joining the one loss group each round it will be very difficult to know who you will be playing the next round until it comes.

I think if you are lucky enough to be in round 6 and it is like I'm guessing you will always know between two people who you are playing the next round if you win.

I hope this is clear and close to the truth. If I got something wrong point it out. It seems to me like there would be a way of combining groups earlier or something so there don't end up being 4 byes with 2 or most likely 3 being taken by the same person but thats what it looks like it will be to me.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 4, 2015, 1:26 PM
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 04 Nov 10.07.07.png (149.8 K)

This is the line up I get when I start the tournament on the development server, and it seems to align with zoeyk's predictions.

Note that it seems to be based on ratings, so I am not sure this cannot change if your ratings change before the tournament starts.

richardiii

Posted: Nov 20, 2015, 4:15 AM

Ok could you or Zoey re-post all the rules and dates? I seem to be blind or something, maybe it's cause an old freaking fart.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 20, 2015, 10:49 AM
Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 20 Nov 10.47.44.png (92.1 K)

We removed the registration link because the server still allowed signups after the deadline, here is a screenshot of the tournament information. Detailed information on the rules should be available in the help section on pente.org.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 24, 2015, 10:36 PM

Announcement:

I am currently downloading the entire data base of all brainking.com pente games played from April 23, 2005 through to November 24, 2015. About 10 years of missing games essentially, which needless to say, includes recently played lines.

These are the games missing from the Pente.org data base thus far, aside from sites such as pente.net as example.

I shall post below here said data base, which is executable by importing to and using in Dweebo's Pente App, as discussed above this post.

These games are view-able offline, (stored in your hard drive, and thus usable during live rated play). Therefore, it is on you as a player to use responsibly, and not use during rated play.

Some may say that this should not be posted publicly, especially at the eve of a major tourney. However, a similar version of this file has been posted here before publicly, but only people who were members at that time were able to down load it. In order to have an equal playing field, since some already possess this arsenal of data, all must have equal access to same, so there are no unfair advantages for one over the other.

~Zoeyk

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 24, 2015, 11:46 PM

~"BK DATA BASE" by zoeyk, click image to download~

Once downloaded, create new folder, name new folder (bkdb for example). Then extract all files from zipped folder to new folder (not zipped) (called bkdb if you named it that).

Importing may take a bit. It is 46,191 games. 15.1 MB to read, check for duplicates, and copy.

Once all files are in the new folder, Open Dweebo's pente app, and import the folder. Once completed, in Dweebo's pente app, open a "new game analysis" window then go to "filter" tab in lower left of app. Then scroll under category of data base to find the "bkdb" or "my pente games", however it appears, and select it. Your brainking data base will now be running on the board.

If you don't have Dweebo's Pent App for running the BK DATA BASE, simply click on the following to download and install it, enjoy. (Dweebo's Pente App to run the BK DATA BASE on.)

Please report any bugs.

richardiii

Posted: Nov 25, 2015, 7:44 AM

How come they have not been imported into pente.org DB?

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 25, 2015, 9:07 AM

I haven't figured out how to import them yet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 25, 2015, 8:13 PM

only you (rainwolf), Peter, and perhaps Mark or Partica have ever seen the admin coding end of the data base. The rest of us have no frame of reference to give any input without having access to see that. Peter installed the last batch of BK games. Mark may have created an import/injection tool to accomplish that? I don't know by which method Peter got his hands on the last batch of games, but I do know Mark has a webcrawl tool that can extract them from the BK site, so maybe he made a tool for installing them here too? I dunno. As to the games I retrieved, I used a different method.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 26, 2015, 12:29 AM

To my fellow contenders, Be advised, I predict the O9 opening will be deadly this tour. If you have not fortified your offense to fend from that opening yet and all the novelties it may harbor, you may want to look into it.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 26, 2015, 11:02 PM

The BK games zoeyk provided are now in the database. Together with a bit of blood, sweat, and tears

richardiii

Posted: Nov 27, 2015, 3:46 AM

Thanks for those tears Rain.

So, Z, O9 is the move to conquer? or are you distracting us? ;}

Replies: 71   Views: 169,478   Pages: 5   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]