Home » Forum Home » Turn-based

Topic: Turn-based TODO list
Replies: 36   Views: 70,301   Pages: 3   Last Post: Oct 13, 2006, 3:45 PM by: dweebo

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 36   Views: 70,301   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
dweebo

Home page
Re: Turn-based TODO list
Posted: Oct 4, 2005, 7:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions up2ng. I agree that sounds good, I had seen those options at BK, just hadn't thought that far ahead yet.

I think that all games that affect a players rating should be public. So I guess I'd like to offer the following options:

1. Is game rated or unrated? This decision just determines whether or not to adjust player ratings once the game is over.
2. If game is unrated, is game public or private? This decision determines whether or not game is viewable in game db and viewable to other players in a players game history.

And then any type of game could always be cancelled before completion as long as both players agree.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
up2ng

Posted: Oct 23, 2005, 7:18 PM

I think this is finally something I will implement regarding sets at DSG. I don't think it is my #1 priority, but I will add it to the TODO list.

-dweebo

... I was wondering where this falls in your priority of things to do?? Looking forward to it!

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Nov 17, 2005, 2:59 PM

"Real" sets are near the top of my priority list in terms of turn-based TODO items.

I have one question and one concern though.

Question: should games in a set be played at the same time or one after the other? BK does one after the other but I sort of lean towards playing them both at the same time, just a gut reaction though, no real concrete reason why I feel that way. Any opinions anyone?

Concern: Having some players using the set-based ratings system and other using normal ratings system is odd. As long as you play set matches and always play with other players who only play set matches, then your rating is accurate for set-based games. However, as soon as anyone you play plays someone who DOESN'T play all set-based games, then you are skewing the set-based ratings as a whole. Does that make sense? I don't think its a huge issue, but it clouds the ratings somewhat. In reality, I think players like up2ng will always play set-based games, so they will "protect" their ratings in the upper end. But they might play and beat players who have higher ratings because they play non-set-based games, thus boosting their ratings more than should be.

One solution is obvious, only allow set-based matches. However I am still hesitant to do that. Though honestly now would be the time to do it, at the beginning of turn-based games at DSG to avoid issues of resetting ratings or recalculating to convert to a new system.

Players who just want to play a single game can always play unrated games. I guess I'll have to think about it more.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
up2ng

Posted: Nov 18, 2005, 4:28 AM

Good points Dweebo -- it's great to see you getting ready to approach this task! I would love to see "real" sets in real time pente, but I understand there may be some extra implementation issues with that so giving it a shot in turn-based is a great start.

In response to your question about games being played at the same time or sequentially, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot. My reaction is the same as yours -- for turn-based sets, start both games at the same time (at BK, there is another advantage to playing a set which is sequential -- it frees up more slots for total games in progress. So far, this is a non-issue here). For real time sets (and this could also be done for turn-based sets) one solution might be to randomize who gets P1 in game one before the set begins.

I agree that mixing set-based ratings with non-set-based ratings is bad. Although in your example, I think the players playing non-set-based ratings actually would have lower ratings, not higher -- at least for the top few players. I have a feeling that set-based ratings will help "spread out" the top, with the experts staying around 1900 - 2000 and the super freaks getting as high as 2500 or more. But anyway, I would be in favor of a policy to only allow set-based matches (non-set-based games still available unrated). However, there will be too much resistance to that, probably justified. I think a decent solution is to leave set-based and non-set-based options available and have two seperate rating systems to track them. Essentially, you would create a new game type: Set-based Pente with it's own rating system, and whatever follows from that (it's own database category?, etc). Essentially, this would pretty much double the number of game types at DSG -- again. I know it is already getting unwieldy with Speed Pente, Regular Pente, Turn-Based Pente and all of the variations, but I think it's a good alternate solution to just getting rid of non-set-based play.

Something to think about.

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Oct 6, 2006, 7:08 PM

Finally got around to implementing bigger boards for turn-based (and viewing old games through player profiles). Now when the game loads on your screen there will be a "Detach" button that you can click, it will open up the game board in a new window which you can then resize.

-dweebo

> My main gripe with it is how small the board is -
> quite hard to see when it gets busy later in a game.
>
> Is there any way to either:
>
> - make the board resizeable or,
> - have two or three size settings, with the current
> one being the smallest, so that people with larger
> monitors can make use of the screen estate?
>
> Lepews

Pente Rocks!
thad

Home page
Posted: Oct 10, 2006, 12:07 PM

> As a side note, BK does it right, draws always yield no change in ratings.

NOT TRUE!!

dweebo

Home page
Re: Turn-based TODO list - Feedback Please!
Posted: Oct 13, 2006, 3:45 PM

So now that turn-based is live for everyone and a bunch of players are using it, what should I add to make it better next?

I'm thinking having vacation days is pretty critical, that will be my next update to it.

Then I'd like to make it possible to have turn-based tournaments, those will be a piece of cake to run (compared to real-time), so we can have those more often.

Those are both a decent amount of work to add, so are there other things you guys REALLY want added that might be easy for me to do. Let me know and I'll try to get it done while I'm working on those other things.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
Replies: 36   Views: 70,301   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]