Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: 1984 U.S. Open
Replies: 1   Views: 35,083   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 27, 2012, 1:26 AM by: up2ng

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 1   Views: 35,083   Pages: 1  
sjustice

Home page
1984 U.S. Open
Posted: Jan 26, 2012, 6:28 PM

"The only player that I ever thought I'm might lose to in a lengthy match was Scott Justice, though I still expected to win in a squeaker." Rollie Tesh

In browsing the forum for an ego boost, I came across Tesh's quote and his mentioning the last, lost tournament called the 1984 U.S. Open. I was sixteen and just hitting my prime in more ways than one. After watching my older brother have success while I narrowly missed qualifying in 1983, I finally got the chance to play against an elite field and finished 10-2 with Rollie. As he admits, I technically won the tournament since I was fortunate enough to sweep him, being the only player to do so since 1981 I think.

I still have my Pente score sheet with the moves from those games. 2-0 vs Jay Holmdal (unfamiliar with him), 2-0 vs Tesh (greatest of all time?), 1-1 vs Peter Hudson (we both lost as player 1), 1-1 vs Dan Allen (after losing to Hudson as player 1, I then lost to Allen as player 1 the very next game before regrouping), 2-0 vs David Comberrel (I steamrolled these games I recall), 2-0 vs Bill Justice (kind of a bummer to be paired last with only one having shot at title). If someone shows me how to post on database or something, I will do if anyone interested.

I think Tesh is best from past, Nosovs probably best online, and I am just happy to be considered among the elite from past AND online. Plus, my puzzles are pretty awesome. Just sayin'... ;^)

up2ng

Re: 1984 U.S. Open
Posted: Jan 27, 2012, 1:26 AM

Great to see you Scott! Yes, I'm sure that many of us would be very interested to see your games from the 1984 US Open. I don't believe there is any way to post them directly into the database at this time, but I would suggest starting a new thread in the Analysis forums here at pente.org where you can post your games visually for the readers. It can be a bit tedious to list all of the moves, especially if you have them listed in an "R1D1" type of format (I'm not sure if this is supported or not), but once you get used to it you'll have them posted in no time.

Go to the Analysis forums and find a link near the top of the screen where it says "Learn how to post games for analysis in the forums". This shows a few different methods -- I would suggest the section which says "post an applet which shows the sequence of moves in a game" for this situation. This will allow the reader to scroll through all of the moves as if they are viewing the game in the database. Hopefully later on these games can be added to the database in a "1984 US Open" event section so that they may be searchable.

Good luck!

Replies: 1   Views: 35,083   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List