Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Anthony Bourdain visits Ukraine
Replies: 3   Views: 31,233   Pages: 1   Last Post: Aug 22, 2011, 1:13 AM by: ukie60

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 3   Views: 31,233   Pages: 1  
happyj0

Anthony Bourdain visits Ukraine
Posted: Aug 16, 2011, 1:10 AM

On a new episode tonight of "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel in the US, Tony visits Ukraine. No doubt there will be repeats, for whoever is interested...........

P.S. It occurs to me that it may already have aired in some parts of the country (I'm on the west coast so I am not sure what time it will air elsewhere). Like I said, they always show repeats of an episode, sooner or later, for whomever missed it.

Message was edited by: happyj0 at Aug 15, 2011 7:11 PM

ukie60

Home page
Re: Anthony Bourdain visits Ukraine
Posted: Aug 16, 2011, 2:27 AM

Dear J0!!!! I dont have a cable.... Tell me how Do you like it.......PLEASE.....<3
ukie

happyj0

Posted: Aug 16, 2011, 2:38 PM

"No Reservations" is a show hosted by a former chef, Tony Bourdain. He travels around the world, sampling food recommended by locals, seeing sites that are usually off the tourist path, and basically he tries to be witty, and is often just profane and cynical.

The Ukraine episode was similar in that regard. The show opened up with him touring an old Soviet naval military site (formerly secret) that was a nuclear missile submarine base in the Crimea designed to launch the subs underwater and sneak them out into the Mediterranean for nuclear war.

They then visited the Chernobyl area, and apparently they picked up more radiation on themselves than they thought they would while walking around outside. We learned a bit more about the accident and how the problem of the meltdown is still not solved, and no one knows quite how to stop it.

They then did some normal stuff, visited Kiev on Victory Day (if I am not mistaken about the day), saw a parade and yellow and blue balloons, ate some green borscht, drank loads and loads of vodka.

I am afraid I didn't get a good feel about what Ukraine is like from the show, except that they still seem pretty poor.

The show recently did an episode on Boston, my old home town from a a while back. I was seriously disappointed about that show, and feel it was mostly unenlightening for those unfamiliar with Boston. I feel a similar way about the Ukraine episode, so I think maybe you were better off for not having cable and not being able to see it.

This link doesn't show the show, but there are a few clips from it, and some photos from their trip:

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Anthony_Bourdain/Episodes_Travel_Guides/Ukraine

ukie60

Home page
Posted: Aug 22, 2011, 1:13 AM

Trust me...Ukraine is a beautiful country. Just poor people, too much alcohol, drugs, homeless....Thats why I LOVE Americans. You guys so nice and friendly and I feel secure. Thank you very much for your country. Thank you USA.
Inna

Replies: 3   Views: 31,233   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List