Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Best first move for P2
Replies: 15   Views: 115,333   Pages: 2   Last Post: Jul 21, 2011, 3:10 PM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 15   Views: 115,333   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
zoeyk

Home page
Re: Best first move for P2
Posted: Jul 21, 2011, 3:10 PM

up2ng said;
The move to K9 is a more defensive, counter-attacking sort of move, whereas the N8 move is a more aggressive, offensive-minded move.

~z
ehh well, on one hand i can see how that statement is true. another way i might look at them is that, by them selves they are not aggressive yet.
with their second stone they both can be aggressive by attempting a capture of K10 for example.

its just that one is closer and one is further.
K10 is more like a close quarters knife fight usually.
while N8 reserves a greater ability for its secondary attack to be a "mid range perimeter stalking tactic", for lack of better words.

i remember our talks about K9 and N8 back then, and we all kind of agreed on K9 and N8 being best. im not sure where i stand on N8 at this point but i consider K9 to be a little better than N8 at the moment.

im not trying to take away from your points about them. much of what you said were valid points. i enjoyed what you wrote.
the comparison of what a 2 jump can do compared to what a special jump can do is true. a SJ is more limited. but i find this limitation and challenge more enjoyable to play some times. and often times this limitation is not enough to make P1 lose.

up2ng said;
I'll stick to the theoretical "best" first move, as opposed to the "most popular" or "most likely to win at this particular moment" scenarios.

up2ng further said;
Which one you choose will depend a lot on your own philosophy and what you perceive your opponent's strengths and weaknesses to be.

~z
hmm,.. those two seem to contradict maybe just slightly.

"I'll stick to the theoretical "best" first move, as opposed to the "most likely to win at this particular moment" and Which one you choose will depend your opponent's strengths and weaknesses."

i realize its not a full contradiction since your choosing between what you think are the two best moves, yet you seem to be admitting that i was kinda right too in that whats best for one opponent may not be best for the next opponent. in my opinion the personally favored move is not always the best choice to pull. some times a crap move will work out much better against an individual of high caliber. some times..

i will say tho that N8 is pretty dead center of the 12 moves spectrum. its a kick *** move in its own right. and deserves a spot light as such. but in the end i still think K9 is at least a half point better.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
Replies: 15   Views: 115,333   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Back to Topic List