Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Brf's 5th Annual, Round 2
Replies: 7   Views: 35,070   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jun 17, 2011, 2:25 AM by: brf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 7   Views: 35,070   Pages: 1  
aleph_1

Brf's 5th Annual, Round 2
Posted: Jun 3, 2011, 5:12 PM

For anyone interested in following along -
Round 2 of Brf's 5th Annual St. Pat's tournament at Brainking started today. Those advancing:

Section 1
nosovs
Brf
s3v3n
happyjuggler0
Victoria
Undertaker
milehighdt

Section 2
dein
novatis
aleph_1
Richard III
gaylen
karlw
Resher

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Brf's 5th Annual, Round 2
Posted: Jun 7, 2011, 12:01 AM

not to talk about a game in mid motion, but i found s3v3n's open vs nosovs interesting here.
http://brainking.com/en/ShowGame?g=5198722

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
up2ng

Posted: Jun 7, 2011, 12:20 AM

White's 3rd seems questionable in that game to me since black's 2nd already blocks that diagonal. If he wanted to go with that shape perhaps 3. K12 would have been better?

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jun 7, 2011, 3:09 PM

well, i'll wait till its finished to analyze. was just giving a heads up on a open that caught my eye.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
sakeful

Posted: Jun 8, 2011, 12:39 AM

Who are generally accepted as the best pente players in the world?

gaylen

Home page
Posted: Jun 8, 2011, 1:28 AM

Lots of earlier players are no longer actively playing.
I would say look in the database here, or Richard's Pbem site from around 10 years ago. Go to brainking.com for current top rated players.
Look at the ratings on this site. Players that haven't played in maybe a month here and brain king are dropped off the list.
Live games are more of an indication of smartist players. I am not very competent at live games but have always liked turn based games with lots of time to make a move...more like puzzle solving. Check turn based games here for another list.
I'm still waiting for someone to write the history of this game for all the details. Wikipedia might have something also on some of the old masters including Tom Braunlich, Gary Barnes (pro gambler) and Rollie Tesh, etc.

gaylen

Home page
Posted: Jun 8, 2011, 4:42 AM

Ah! Just realized I replied to an off topic on my last post on this message.

Anyway, now that I look at this finished game (http://brainking.com/en/ArchivedGame?g=5198722) and 7 having won, I do see that Nosov's 3rd move was about his last with 7 following with his 3rd move forming a small T inserted into the edge of Nosov's L. It looks like the L is a goner at this point.

info on shape formations: http://pente.org/gameServer/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=4701&messageID=21750#21750

brf

Home page
Posted: Jun 17, 2011, 2:25 AM

Round 2 is warping my brain

of course it hits right when I have like 5 things I'm trying to get done in life outside of pente.

Regardless, yes the games are very interesting I've looked at a couple of them (some you've all mentioned in this thread) mostly the ones that have finished....and realize I better be bringing the A-game just to have a hope of advancing the section. With 6 opponents a simple split with one person when someone else manages a sweep will be the kind of thing that makes or breaks advancing to the final round.

the move routine...think about, think about it some more, put it down, come back to it....decide on the move, are you sure?? really sure?? better look at it one more time

This kind of brutal mind spanking self-inflicted torture rules....but it really sucks when you mismove or didn't think things through as well as your opponent. Especially since I won't get a chance until next year to redeem myself for any screw-ups.

Replies: 7   Views: 35,070   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List