Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Tournament rule discussion...
Replies: 11   Views: 30,158   Pages: 1   Last Post: May 27, 2011, 12:39 AM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 11   Views: 30,158   Pages: 1  
jackschidt

Tournament rule discussion...
Posted: May 19, 2011, 3:40 AM

Message was edited by: jackschidt at May 26, 2011 5:12 AM

jackschidt

Re: Newbies and cheaters...
Posted: May 19, 2011, 3:56 AM

Message was edited by: jackschidt at May 26, 2011 5:13 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: May 19, 2011, 4:15 AM

i agree with your points.
the boot glitch must be fixed. tis high priority imo. for some reason it seems dweebo didn't end up seeing it as important as we did when brought up in the past.

as for the tourney rule issue, although i agree with your point, i simply can't stand that problem either. i refuse to play with out the tourney rule. and i must insist that at some point it is programed so that the table owner can force the tourney rule in unrated games if so desired. imo it hurts the new players learning to play openings that are irrelevant in rated play. and i consider it a waste of my time to play out side of the rule. if i could force the rule in unrated at my table then there wouldn't need to be those bad feelings over the whole thing in the first place. this feature is less of a high priority but i still see it as a sort of priority to get done at some point.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
jackschidt

Posted: May 19, 2011, 4:30 AM

Message was edited by: jackschidt at May 26, 2011 5:13 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: May 19, 2011, 4:53 AM

well,.. players need to have the option, cus i know there are some players who would be upset to have that option taken away. we would get a back lash of complaints if it were removed all together. i just think it would be great for it to be up to the table owners discretion is all. non-Tourney rule play needs to remain available for the non-professional players. but table owners should not have that non-TR stuff forced upon them in unrated games at their own table.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
up2ng

Posted: May 19, 2011, 9:14 PM

Hehe, it is amusing to see the term "professional" to describe a pente player.

Years ago I had wondered if there was any possible way to make even a little bit of money with this game. One idea I thought of was to set up a board in the middle of a busy city park in nice weather with some sort of "Beat the Expert" sign posted. Something like, pay $1 for a chance to win $10 (or $50 or however confident you are) if you can win a set of pente games against me. You might find enough tourist type folks walking by with nothing better to do to put $5 or $10 in your pocket after a whole day -- hardly a living, but something anyway.

The only other possibilities I could see were to win a tournament with a cash prize (something that hasn't existed in this community for a long time that we know about) or to write and publish a book that at least a few people actually buy.

I know that's not exactly what you meant by the term, but it is still an interesting side-topic.

Of course, I don't mean to derail the thread too much here. I agree with Jack -- it is helpful if regular members here would take their time to assist new players to learn the little things about this site that might take some getting used to, such as the situation he described.

danporter

Posted: May 20, 2011, 12:35 AM

Oh Jack.........just stop your cheating. Some new players get annoyed as schidt when you do that!

jhs55

Posted: May 20, 2011, 3:26 AM

LOL

painter62

Posted: May 21, 2011, 2:21 AM

On flyordie.com the second move by the first player is a mandatory "tournament" space from the opening move.
The center of the board is automatically blocked to any but an appropriate move. The site has a lot of faults but there's no discussion about whether or not tournament play is enforced.

piecraft

Posted: May 22, 2011, 6:48 AM

I am inclined to agree with Painter62 on this one

pente_man

Posted: May 22, 2011, 9:50 PM

Playing without the tournament rule has its place. People have played this way for years and its fun. It would be great to have a checkbox option so table owners could choose the rule in unrated games. Maybe the standard unrated setting could include the tournament rule with a checkbox option to disable it.

Many of us prefer to play sets, so I'd like to see a checkbox option for unrated sets, as well.

Now, newbies today can become regulars tomorrow.(obvious) Showing patience and respect to newbies will further pente's cause.(obvious) However, I just haven't seen that this is the problem here. Generally, newbies are not mistreated. In my experience, 'new' players sometimes intentionally attempt to upset the regulars. These abusive(?) players are actually not new at all. That is the issue that could drive away the talent and hurt the game of pente.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: May 27, 2011, 12:39 AM

jack, deleting all your posts just because one of your posts was critiqued is over kill and un-necessary. now all subsequent posts are confusing with out your initial posts to show a basis and context.

Replies: 11   Views: 30,158   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List