Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Can anyone inform me about formation performance?
Replies: 4   Views: 32,277   Pages: 1   Last Post: Mar 29, 2011, 3:10 PM by: up2ng

This topic is locked - replies are not allowed.

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 4   Views: 32,277   Pages: 1  
gaylen

Home page
Can anyone inform me about formation performance?
Posted: Mar 27, 2011, 1:35 AM

P2 stones are included in these diagrams in order to confuse the wicked

Does anyone know which of these p1 formations is stongest? That is, in order to determine this, for a novice like me, I would go about this by selecting games out of the database here and determining whether there might be any variance as to percentages of wins that there might be per formation.

I would think that there are some better players that might have figured this out, unless perhaps all formations are pretty much equal in strength depending on optimal countering by p2.

illusion

Re: Can anyone inform me about formation performance?
Posted: Mar 27, 2011, 12:39 PM

to be honest, i would not get too hung up around percentages. too often have we found that a preferred and high ranked winning 3rd by P1 has been found to harbor flaw. (if you would like actual examples of this let me know.)
thus the only way to determine is through deep study.
the DB is a if'y guide line for possible inspiration on both sides of the table, and also is a sand trap to the new and awe stricken rookies.
the truth in whole is not handed. it is either a journey we take as pente masters and find for our selves,.. or not.
as human, there are certain lines we will look at and know the real truth.
there are some we will look at and think are the truth but we are wrong.
sometimes we will be lucky enough to be proven wrong so we can become of aware that we need to re-examine.
how do we know for sure which lines are really a sure P1 win? many situations are obvious to us that P1 has sure win.
but, some times it is obvious, and yet, a brilliant insane combo will be discovered that seems to defy the laws of logic initially that mock the obvious that seemed so sure to be the bottom line. it happens in pente...
well im being vague i suppose.
as far as the patterns you show here i did not really look yet. i assume it is P2's turn to move?

illusion

*** IN ADDITION
i will say that, most P1 2nds are sure win in perfect play. (P1 2nds with in reason of course). it is the 3rds that start to divide into 3 different categories.

cat. 1: sure loss

cat. 2: sure win through vast tree of non-intuitive branches in either width, depth, or both (plus perfect play)

cat. 3: sure win through tree of minimal width or depth or both that is relatively intuitive (plus perfect play)

I'll further say that if perfect play,.. most any winning P1 3rd can be pushed into category 2. it just takes the right player to come along and do it. but granted that some P1 3rds are just more brutal than others to deal with as P1, winning or no.

and, for the record,.. on average,.. a rookie's P2 line when vs a master player, is defeated at 13 moves,.. again on average. but this does not reflect in any way the lines actual width and depth. this goes right back to the pseudo logic of leaning on the data base stats for proof.

Message was edited by: illusion at Mar 27, 2011 6:44 AM

and,.. i want to leave you with one final thought to ponder,..
how do we define intuitive in regards to pente?... yes,.. is it a silly question?
is being intuitive as simple as saying its in the eye of the beholder?

Message was edited by: illusion at Mar 27, 2011 7:00 AM

illusion

Posted: Mar 27, 2011, 1:48 PM

ok, on surface look, i say your example 2 is clearly a P2 win.
examples 1 and 3 deserve a deeper analysis how ever.

illusion

Posted: Mar 27, 2011, 1:55 PM

and actually,. you shouldn't get too hung up on the 3rds for winning. it is more often the 5ths that do us in, ext..
but yes, some 3rds are no no's.

up2ng

Posted: Mar 29, 2011, 3:10 PM

This thread is being locked since it is a duplicate and it would be better to contain all discussion in one thread.

Go here to continue the discussion:

http://www.pente.org/gameServer/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=4701&tstart=0

------------------------

Side note: Zoey (I assume?), why are you posting with an alternate name?? It's confusing!

Replies: 4   Views: 32,277   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List