Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: I am Perplexed!
Replies: 12   Views: 34,414   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 13, 2010, 10:43 PM by: ukie60

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 12   Views: 34,414   Pages: 1  
richardiii

I am Perplexed!
Posted: Nov 6, 2010, 5:15 AM

I am very confused.

I used to come in, and it was an open, free environment for everyone to just jump in and watch, chat, play, or observe. 100% of the tables were open, and you could just pop right in and voila! everyone was out there!, a cool real community of fun players to interact with.

And now suddenly, every bit of that is gone. I just logged in after a bit of being away, and all i see is closed doors, shut up rooms, where everyone exists in cut off environments! All in private rooms!!!???!!!

All i got to ask is: "How the freak did that happen?!?"
i come in and unless someone invites me, "There Is No Room To Visit!!!"

What is happening???

Something has happened to cause Peter to Make every room Private by default?!?

What could possibly happen to do that?

If it is not a mistake, and is an intent, then, then I'd have to say that Peter might be fed up with the site.

Because it spells, with emphasis, that the site is dead! It will not survive slamming the door on the open public invite normally associated and previously offered for everyone to participate in a public game room in general.

Pente.org has always been an open forum of pente enthusiasts, and to cut out the access of the general public, by limiting rooms as a standard to now be private, unless otherwise specified, is horrible to the pente world in general. It decimates the game community in general.

I have been upset by many things lately at this site, but to see this happening takes the cake!

Shock is all I can feel at this. Shock.

Err, ether all the above, or a site glitch occurred. Ekk Gad! In which case, please disregard the large majority of my comments above. If it becomes evident that R3?s mental state is in question, then perhaps he did not say the things that were said above. I feel strongly that anything said in this post is susceptible to delusions of the 3rd kind.

R3

up2ng

Re: I am Perplexed!
Posted: Nov 6, 2010, 5:39 PM

I tend to agree. I would like to see us go back to defaults of rated, public and at least 20/0 or 20/5 timer (on).

I just went into the room and created my own table and I ended up with a private table, unrated and with the timer off (but set to 1/0). I found this odd.

Someone suggested that it gets set to however you had it the last time you played -- but of course for new players, everyone would have to actually set their table to public at least once to have it that way going forward. I think this is a mistake.

Unfortunately, it looks unlikely that we'll see any more changes to the site any time soon. So the work around is to open up your own table, then invite the person who's table you'd like to join -- remind them that they are set to private and ask them to change it or to invite you in. I know this is a much worse solution than just having tables public by default, but that's where we are right now.

jasonb

Home page
Posted: Nov 6, 2010, 7:01 PM

up2ng, Since Peter is going to be giving "admins more access to server/database to fix stuff" perhaps you be able to address things like this in the future??

watsu

Home page
Posted: Nov 6, 2010, 9:01 PM

Well, I can only speak for myself, of course. Lately- past 6 months or so- I've been coming to the site more to do analysis than to play. When you are working on a tournament line, you don't want your opponent walking in in the middle. Or, during the Rollie Tesh analysis thread, same thing was But, when I'm not doing something like that, my default setting is public - unless a chat issue requires otherwise, of course.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
richardiii

Posted: Nov 7, 2010, 12:52 AM

^
^ ^
^ ^ ^

I deeply apologise for all my comments above. I am deeply ashamed of them.

Message was edited by: richardiii at Nov 6, 2010 8:27 PM

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Nov 7, 2010, 4:12 PM

the default is public, unrated, 10min initial,5 incremental.

when u make changes it remembers them the next time.

nothing has changed recently codewise though there is at least one bug (the d-pente stuck bug) so i suppose it is possible. table is still public for me when i logged in

Pente Rocks!
up2ng

Posted: Nov 7, 2010, 4:59 PM

Thanks for clarifying Peter! I've also dropped in to see all private tables before, but I guess that's just a coincidence.

ukie60

Home page
Posted: Nov 7, 2010, 5:29 PM

Hey Rich...You are ALWAYS welcome to my room...ALWAYS my pleasure....

pente_up

Posted: Nov 7, 2010, 10:04 PM

To be very honest Richard, I play on a private table sometimes depending on who I am playing. Some players get distracted with others popping in and out and a lot of chatter. I also play other players that like to analyze our games as we play and we do not want to be pressured by others that want to play faster than we play. It is certainly not meant to snub anyone intentionally, it's only that we wish not to be interrupted or pressured. I saw you in the room the other night but was already deep in a game analysis,otherwise I would have gladly had you on our table. Maybe if you open a table and offer a general "everyone's welcome" message in the game room people will flock to your table Do not be ashamed for your comments..it's how things get changed.

jhs55

Posted: Nov 8, 2010, 3:47 PM

Gosh Lee ukie....yikes !

ukie60

Home page
Posted: Nov 9, 2010, 4:47 AM

Jack...come on...at least I am honest...I like Rich...

jhs55

Posted: Nov 9, 2010, 10:07 AM

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

ukie60

Home page
Posted: Nov 13, 2010, 10:43 PM

Jack..You scared Richard..He never came back to this post..

Replies: 12   Views: 34,414   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List