Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: set base = 1 game played ?
Replies: 4   Views: 33,628   Pages: 1   Last Post: May 19, 2010, 2:08 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 4   Views: 33,628   Pages: 1  
jhs55

set base = 1 game played ?
Posted: May 14, 2010, 9:16 PM

I have noticed while playing a set with a player that has fewer than 20 games played and is looking to hurry and get to 20 games so as to have color, the set is only worth one game !,

Has anyone else noticed this ?

up2ng

Re: set base = 1 game played ?
Posted: May 15, 2010, 7:23 PM

Not sure exactly what you're referring to here -- you mean playing a set in live games right? Not in Turn-Based? Keep in mind that there is a different rating change formula that applies to both players if one or both players has a provisional status. See the FAQ for more details.

jhs55

Posted: May 15, 2010, 8:11 PM

thanks dean, yes , live play, not turn base, I noticed while playing a set with a provisional player that they needed 12 more games to get to color ( 20 games )
After the first game was over they were still at 8 games, then when the set was over they then had nine games total,
thats 2 games completed and only one game counted, I was just asking if this is how the new design works. I understand about provisional ratings, but its the completed games count I was asking about...

jhs55

Posted: May 15, 2010, 8:16 PM

Also dean, I am having trouble again creating my own table
( live ) , its is stuck in D-pente and the tabs wont work, Dweebo fixed this last week, but its doig the same again

thanks
jack !

watsu

Home page
Posted: May 19, 2010, 2:08 AM

yes, it is slower for provisional players to reach their 20 now. It's 20 won or lost sets (draws apparently don't count towards the total). Is this good or bad, or just how it is? Dunno. With all ratings done by sets, I see advantages to making a player continue to play a minimum of twenty in order to establish a rating, and since draws indicate no change up or down, it makes sense also that it should only be won or lost sets which count. However, this does mean it takes a considerably longer time to establish a rating- at least twice as long.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 4   Views: 33,628   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List