Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: A welcome to '80s tournament players
Replies: 4   Views: 35,674   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 12, 2012, 11:43 PM by: danporter

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 4   Views: 35,674   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
A welcome to '80s tournament players
Posted: May 2, 2010, 5:51 PM

Zoeyk has gone to considerable effort to contact and bring to this site historic Pente figures and tournament players from the '80s. I think a thread to welcome those players might be a good idea, so that they can let us know their user names if they aren't obvious. I'll add in here a few who I already know have accounts and as new arrivals come in if they can post here, that would help everyone keep track of who is who. Welcome to Pente.org!

rollietesh - pretty obvious
tbraunlich - Tom Braunlich
ggabrel - Gary Gabrel
steve_ost - Steve Ostrander
sjustice - Scott Justice (didn't play in '83, but was at that tourney)

Some players have played online (or at least been rated online) here for example, but I'm not sure what if they have pente.org accounts or if so what their nicknames are- Larry Fortune and Bill Justice, for examples.
There may be some clues I've missed here as well...

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

rollietesh

Re: A welcome to '80s tournament players
Posted: May 6, 2010, 12:52 AM

There is one major tournament, the 1984 U.S. Open, that unfortunately seems to be lost to the wind. If so, it's a shame because that was the last, and perhaps the best, old-school tournament.

I was leading the tournament by 2 points when I ran up against Scott Justice. He dealt me my first-ever double lose since 1981. That tied him for 1st place, and we split the prize, though I think that Scott technically won on tie-breaks (because of having beating the person who tied).

There was talk about organizing a World Championship match between Scott and me, but alas, my games against him at the U.S. Open were to be the last serious games I ever played.

I wonder if someone somewhere still has game records from that wonderful tournament?

Rollie

watsu

Home page
Posted: May 9, 2010, 4:09 PM

I certainly hope someone does, but I'm not aware of anything online on that tourney.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
sjustice

Home page
Posted: Jan 12, 2012, 7:04 PM

Amen to that.

danporter

Posted: Jan 12, 2012, 11:43 PM

That would be an awsome treat to see these past champions play on pente.org. I have the book, Pente Strategy, by Tom Braunlich. It would be great to see tournaments once again by these past players, and how they stack up with current top players on here!

Replies: 4   Views: 35,674   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List