Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: zk's rule* ... to be renamed, Gladiator Pente
Replies: 47   Views: 168,611   Pages: 4   Last Post: Jan 20, 2010, 10:34 PM by: up2ng

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 47   Views: 168,611   Pages: 4   [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
jackschidt

zk's rule* ... to be renamed, Gladiator Pente
Posted: Nov 1, 2009, 12:11 AM

I don't know who started it, but Zoeyk was the first I saw playing this type of "King of the Hill":

Set the clock to 1/5 or 2/5 or something like that; and rotate all the players in the table into the fun, by making the loser of each game give up their seat to the next challenger, and having the winner of each game play the next game from seat #2. (Not playing in sets, two different players every game).

Even if the timer is set to 6 minutes, no one has to wait long. But generally, the more people there are waiting to play, the less time there should be on the clock. That way everyone gets a shot. And there is little time to use any "aids".

zk's rule; much fun.

Message was edited by: jackschidt at Jan 14, 2010 4:37 PM
* Notice of the name-change to avoid hurting anyone's feelings (becomes clearer below).

jackschidt

Re: zk's rule ...
Posted: Jan 9, 2010, 10:38 AM

Gaylen had a cool idea. To create a pre-set table that would track who is next in line. Lots of people play this way, but it does get confusing sometimes with people coming and going. Kind of like playing pool at a bar, except the website would be tracking who's next.

omgjustdie

Posted: Jan 9, 2010, 8:31 PM

Hmmmm in the form of a 'Table Type' drop down menu yes? Could get convoluted as either someone (presumably the table owner) would be designated to approve/deny new rotation slots as new players enter the table or entry to the table would trigger the new rotation; also when the owner leaves, the duty and rotation authority would hafta transfer to the new owner. With the automatic rotation, spectators wouldn't be able to spectate and booting could become an issue. Its a cool idea tho IMO. I ran across an old post recently too that voiced the idea of nameable tables being implemented.......I thought that sounded neat-o!

jackschidt

Posted: Jan 10, 2010, 8:09 AM

This style (format) of play is popular with players who like speed. And it can gather a lot of people in one room. But it seems like there is always someone who wants to play out of turn, and/or the table host doesn't want to look like a Nazi by telling people to wait, and the whole thing can quickly get out of hand.

The idea of this format, as I understand it, is to include everyone in the fun. No table-hawgs. Time is precious for everyone, and this format allows people to play a bunch of different people in a short amount of time, under the pressure of a lot of eyes watching.

It has to be unrated, because the winner of the previous game always plays from seat-2, so hopefully it stays fun.

I have no idea how much trouble that would be to create an automatic table with all those controls. As I see it, in addition to switching the winner to seat-2, everyone who came into the table would be a non-active spectator by default. If they want to play, they'd have to activate a check-mark by their name (or something to that effect) to get a spot in the que.

But a table-title would be great start. At least it would help to serve notice there is an order of battle, and that the table-host is keeping track of who will play next.

partica

Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 12:17 AM

Just so ya knows, vitals was doing this format like 5-6 years ago. LMBO Like when people used to create speednames for the purpose of playing in the PenteAddicts Speed League! Its in the forums way back when like 04 or so...

omgjustdie

Re: not zk's rule ...
Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 12:56 AM

lol yeah I knew but didn't wanna be the messenger......

zoeyk

Home page
hahahaha @zoeyk hahahahaha
Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 9:55 AM

thank god you posted to let us know. lmao or something.... and glad a admin felt compelled to write LMBO about being the bearer of bad news...hee hee hee sniker sniker...
oh and i didnt want to be the messenger but " LOL "

in all honesty if you had posted that with out saying LMBO or LOL i would not have posted any thing, seriously.

i never told him or any one to call it zk's rule nor to post about it for the record, yes sure i felt honored to have someone do so, and if i am to be informed that i wasnt the original idea maker for this it is fine by all means. but why feel compelled to type the LMBO and LOL?
i just find it insulting in my direction.

i vote that partica's LMBO, and omgjustdie's LOL be deleted. I FEEL OFFENDED. you can also delete my post here after that is done as far as im concerned. oh and delete the smiley faces,,, why would a bearer of bad news use a smiley face? why!? i just dont get it.

zoeyk

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
partica

Re: hahahaha @zoeyk hahahahaha
Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 4:44 PM

So, let me get this straight...You are offended because I stated a fact? And because I laughed? Seriously? Not even sure that warrants a response Z.

I think you are taking this out of context. I have the right to think something is funny. You don't even know what I found funny. You ascribe it to yourself when it has nothing to do with you. You should not read negativity into things that don't exist. My laughter had absolutely nothing to do with you.

I was passing information to a fellow pente'r. I would appreciate it if you would take the statement for what it is rather than what you want it to be. Vitals has the right to be recognized for his speed format. Apologies if learning he came up with it years before you joined the site offends you. I see no basis for your offense. It is just a simple fact.

I have the right to laugh and smile. That one is eluding me.

I don't see where my post violated any of the "proposed" guidelines. Don't see the need for moderation. If another admin agrees with you they can have at it.

jackschidt

Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 7:31 PM

Seems to me we are off topic.

Going back up in the thread, it looks like the diversion from the original topic started when someone laughed all (or at least part of) their butt off. But, apparently it is significant and laughable that I didn't properly research my topic before I posted a thread about it.

I am VERY impressed by those who have been at Pente.org for so long, that they can remember all the topics previously discussed from top to bottom. Is that expected of all Pente.org players? Or just the people that read the posts in the forums? Or just the people that post in the forums?

If not, why should I know that someone else has used this "King of the Hill" (koth) format before? Did I not lead off this thread by acknowledging that I did not know who started this order of battle? I've been at Pente.org on a regular basis going on 2 years now, Zoeyk is the first and only one I've seen having fun with koth. Vitals may have been here since I've been participating, but this (diversion from the original topic) is the first time I've heard that players name.

At the time of this thread's post, Zoeyk had announced his retirement, so I thought it would be an honor to give him the credit. It still is an honor (retirement or not), but clearly that is a problem to the buttless.

SooooOOOOOoooo, lets just call it koth? Or whatever it is deemed proper to call it. And get back to the original subject of the thread.

KOTH IS FUN!!!

KOTH IS FUN!!!

KOTH IS FUN!!!

zoeyk

Home page
Speed KOTH Rule is FUN!
Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 8:59 PM

on topic;
i agree with koth being fun,

semi on/off topic;
and that vitals had a good idea.

off topic;
and (it aint what you say, its "How" you say it that matters, especially if your an Admin.)

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
partica

Re: Speed KOTH Rule is FUN!
Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 11:27 PM

Zoey, I apologize if my laughter and smiley offended you. It really had absolutely nothing to do with you. It was not my intention to offend you. Please forgive my mortal flaw.

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Speed KOTH Rule is FUN!
Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 11:43 PM

Way Off Topic Here, Sorry Jack,...

thank you partica,

at first i "assumed" that when i was informed of being demoted from the title of a imaginary format that you were laughing at me, then after reading jacks post i "assumed" that maybe it was to laugh at him for not being able to know of a post from 6 years ago in 2004.

but after hearing the opinion from someone in a PM, and after a convo with you on a table, and after reconsidering my position on it all, i realize that i have jumped the gun. your right, i have no idea why you were laughing while simutaniously bursting my bubble.
keep in mind i honeslty A - didnt ask to have it named after me, and B - i really dont care that it will not be named after me, its all really silly actually.

and i feel maybe im putting too high of an expectation on a admin of how they should talk as far as a admin protocal of talking.

so i feel i was in the wrong to assume what you meant, thus i owe you an appology,

I am sorry Partica, I appologize to you.
i say this with a true sincerity believe it or not.
and,
honestly i thank you for all you do as admin, you are a great admin, and i hope you stick with it, as your selfless acts as admin are something this community is needing. your job is not an easy one. you try to do good for people and usually you probably get hate mail instead of thank yous. Im sorry if im a jerk.

i think a additional rule for forums should be "if your upset about a post, wait at least 72 hours before replying". i think i should try to follow this.

sorry partica and thanks again,

zoeyk

now lets go back on topic....

jackschidt

Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 11:46 PM

Coolish ... 72 hour cooling off period (zk's rule.2)

But since it has relevance, back to the name: "King of the Hill" Is that accurate? By that I mean, koth implies that the king would have an advantage, being on the upper ground.

In Vital's order of battle; where the king is player 2; wouldn't it be more accurate to describe it as "King of the Pit"? Suggestions?

partica

Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 11:52 PM

I like King of the Hill, for what MHO is worth.

I wanted to add that whomever is "King of the Hill" has the advantage beacuse it requires more skill to keep it.

Message was edited by: partica at Jan 12, 2010 5:53 PM added the second sentence.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jan 12, 2010, 11:56 PM

nice,.. yes funny half way through reading you the sum dawned on me too.

i vote for either Pit or Valley,
a mountain is to Valley,.. is a Hill to Pit? i think Hills have Valleys too,...

or Under Dog King,...or king of P2... i dunno

Pit does have a battle feel to it tho hehe.
Like Mosh Pit, or like when Romans would throw people into a Pit full of Lions or Tigers.

KOTP
KOTV
KOP2
UDK

Replies: 47   Views: 168,611   Pages: 4   [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]