Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Can you help my friend Bob find a job?
Replies: 37   Views: 144,338   Pages: 3   Last Post: Sep 3, 2009, 9:31 PM by: valleyboy

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 37   Views: 144,338   Pages: 3   [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
jackschidt

Can you help my friend Bob find a job?
Posted: Aug 17, 2009, 12:59 AM

Bob was laid off six months ago. But Bob is frustrated because despite his best dilligence, a good job is eluding him. Being a smart crowd, maybe you guys can see where he's missing the boat.

Here's Bob's routine:

Bob starts the day early when his alarm clock (MADE IN TAIWAN) goes off at 6am.

While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) is perking, he shaves with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG).

Then he puts on a shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE), and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA).

After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sits down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he can spend that day.

After setting his watch (MADE IN KOREA) to the news on the radio (MADE IN INDIA), he gets in his car (MADE IN JAPAN) filled it with fuel (MADE IN SAUDI ARABIA), and travels to the unemployment office to scan the listing for work.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his computer (MADE IN MALAYSIA), Bob decides to relax for a while.

He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL), pours himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turns on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then calls his mom on a phone (MADE IN FINLAND) and talks about why he can't find a good paying job in AMERICA.

Can you figure out what Bob is doing wrong?

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Can you help my friend Bob find a job?
Posted: Aug 17, 2009, 7:29 PM

you aint kidding...
for the first time im actually considering buying an American car for this very reason. as long as it gets reasonable gas mileage.

actually,..its hard to find your daily items "made in USA" in stores, how ever, at these sites you can find USA items.

http://www.madeinusa.org/
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/
http://www.madeinusa.com/
http://www.madeinusaforever.com/
http://www.ringsurf.com/ring/madeinusa/

~z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
jackschidt

Posted: Aug 17, 2009, 9:35 PM

I know a lot of people buy a foreign car because its the best thing for their budget. Foreign cars tend to be lower maintenance, last a lot longer, better gas mileage, higher resale, etc.

Whatever the reason, every time I see a foreign car, I think there goes another American job. Of course, the correlation is not one to one; its probably closer to two cars per job. But whatever the ratio, it hurts our future generations (kids, grandkids, etc.) when we buy too much from other countries.

And for the record, "Assembled in USA" does not equal "Made in USA". Toyota does not have assembly plants over here to help our economy, nor do they care about creating jobs in America. The bottom line is always M O N E Y. Its just much cheaper for Toyota to ship all the components (fenders, transmissions, seats, wheels, engines, windows, etc.) over here all stacked and packed together, than it would be to ship fully assembled automobiles. As a former manufacturing engineer, I can tell you that over 90% of the cost of a car is in making the component parts, not assembling them into the finished product.

I'm not trying to judge anyone. Everyone has to do what they have to do. I believe in liberty and doing whatever you want. Additionally, while there are a lot of good people that belong to unions; labor unions have inflated wages, and protected waste, and made it much harder for American businesses to compete. For that matter, so does our whole system of compensating labor based on hours present, instead of productivity. And all that shows in the lack of quality when you see "Made in USA".

So if you're looking for the most you can get for your money, it's hard to say that is an American car. Never the less, in the long-run, it is harder for the rest of us, and future generations, when someone buys a foreign product and sends that money out of the country. A service-based economy is a dying economy. Doctors, firemen, lawyers, teachers, policemen, accountants, etc., are all necessary; but they only circulate money, they don't produce or create wealth.

Another key factor is perception. Seems like the current status symbol is to drive a foreign car, and by default American cars are passé. As a response, as a tree-guy, I give price discounts to customers that have only American cars in their driveway. And I purposely fuss over people who buy American.

Finally, and in almost total contradiction, I have to say, all this seems futile. Nothing I have said is new. For decades now, American businesses have been focused on the quick buck and have been rewarding their executives with outrageous bonuses. So, instead of focusing on providing a better product, American manufacturers have brought themselves to this point. A part of me thinks that only the strong should survive, buy the best thing you can afford, let it be what it will be.

Sorry Bob.

maria517

Posted: Aug 18, 2009, 1:13 AM

This is an example of the sad state of our economy where we depend on everyone else to do it for us! Sorry Bob, you need to re-evaluate your buying habits. However, we or you may not have a choice in your purchases either!

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 18, 2009, 3:29 AM

i went to wall greens today to buy a new alarm clock. they had many choices, none were american. i bought one made in china

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
nosovs

Home page
Posted: Aug 18, 2009, 1:42 PM

This is nashionalizm way.

USA always said good words about competition but in reality you ask to buying goods because they are not better, just because it was done in USA.

Why Bus car driver have different salary in different countries ?
This is example - just to pay salary bigger USA driver only because he live in USA and do the same job as driver in Mexica.

jhs55

Posted: Aug 18, 2009, 3:34 PM

Jack :
My I suggest a good read:
"Deep Economy " by Bill McKibben...

jackschidt

Posted: Aug 18, 2009, 7:53 PM

At the heart of it, you are correct Nosovs. I am talking about nationalism. But if you read my post before this one, at the end I say that there is a part of me that believes in buying the best things you can afford.

I am torn between doing what is best for the here and now, and what is best for the future of America. Its a funny paradox. If you want to buy the best, you should; or at least have the freedom to do so. If you want to buy into the best system of liberty, prosperity, and stability; that would be American capitalism.

Oh yeah, we have lots of problems in the USA, but there are several countries that have much more in manpower and natural resouces, yet have never acheived the living standards that we have in America. I would like to see that continue, and to show other countries how to do the same by the exercise of liberty, stability, and prosperity. To help raise others up to a higher standard, not to submit to the lowest common demoninator. How else can Americans send billons of dollars to aid others all around the world?

That is impossible without a strong economy. Strong economies are impossible without the creation of wealth; which is done by adding value to raw materials, i.e. producing, manufacturing. Americans are squandering a great inheritance, the most powerful economy ever on the face of the earth.

I believe in buying the best. But what is "best"? Is the best, what is best for my personal budget right now? Or, is the best, what is best for the our future generations?

Speaking of which, hats off to Mrs. Jenny Sanford and her future generations!!!

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Aug 20, 2009, 5:29 PM

The economic power of USA seems bases on additional credit of FRS . They add possibility for USA citizens to buy more then they earn, because of additional credit.
The additional money borrowing from different sourses (including other countries China and other), but now the LIBOR is too small for borrowing money for this small interest, so this "piramid" can fall down any time.
As the result the USD have to fall around 20-30 % down.
So as result USA residents will buy less products of other countries because they will be expensive.

jackschidt

Posted: Aug 20, 2009, 9:57 PM

Right again Nosovs.

However, my friend Bob voted for a president (MADE IN KENYA), who is doing his best to spend our way out of debt, and tax our way bact to prosperity.

And that guy's replacing someone who claims to be "conservative", but ran up the debt and deficit spending to all time record highs!!!

Imagine the out of control spending someone is going to do if they claim to be liberal???

flynpig

Home page
Posted: Aug 21, 2009, 9:24 AM

It's like telling starving Eskimos that they can't kill the whales. There is a bigger problem that needs to be addressed.

jackschidt

Posted: Aug 21, 2009, 7:39 PM

That's the trap Flynpig. A divorced mom has little choice than to do the best for her kids, and many of them drive used Honda's and Toyota's. Though it still makes it harder for her kids and grandkids to find work in America. Think of it like blocking a capture at the wrong time in Pente and sacrificing the opportuninty to gain an offensive position; saving a pair, but losing the game.

Never the less, I mainly do tree work for people with money (which by coincidence tend to be married, to address your reference to a bigger problem). Anyway, I negotiate a price, then give a discount if there are nothing but American cars in their driveway. But that is very rare, because the people who have the resources to buy American products rarely do.

Please dont get me wrong. America is about liberty (tempered with personal responsibility), or should be. Just understand what Nosovs is saying, the standard of living in America will go down as the dollar (our economy) gets weaker. Whereas our economy would get stronger if the perception of what is "Hot" is to drive a Cadillac or a Lincoln, rather than a Lexus or a Mercedes.

If you didnt know, it is a common perception around the world that Americans are stupid. Commically stupid. Do a search on utube for "stupid Americans", you'll see.

It is said, "Stupid is as stupid does." Sometimes I wonder about Bob.

haggis

Posted: Aug 22, 2009, 5:33 AM

Well, when it comes to American automobiles, they've fallen behind the trend. Other countries (some European, but mostly Asian) saw the future and started making more fuel efficient vehicles while GM, Ford, etc kept producing bigger, more expensive, less fuel efficient vehicles. Talk about capturing a pair, but losing the game.

All I can say is that, to compete, more US products must become the high quality products they're capable of being. Until then, people will economize and spend less for the same or better quality of foreign made goods.

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Aug 22, 2009, 6:11 AM

I have two cars one Toyota RAV4 (Japan) and another Tahoe GM (USA), I did not buy Russian car because they are bad.
The Taxes for foreign cars are 30% and 18% VAT, but anycase I prefer better product.
I listen such talks about buying national products instead of international, really it means that I have to do choice not for my choice and my possibilities, but better for owners of the Car Plants. It is just problem of owners Plants that they can not do good cars.
Not my, I belive.

docreason

Home page
Posted: Aug 26, 2009, 5:51 AM

I have been out of work over 2 years, and have been working on a not-for-profit in the mean time, to promote Pente and other abstract strategy games.

Someone please let me know if I went out of my way to buy American products if it would of resulted in IBM not downsizing me in 2004, and not cutting budgets and staff in 2007, when I lost my job as a contractor with them.

They say to get more education, but I have a Masters degree in Information Systems (computers), so not sure what to add here.

Anyhow, just curious regarding this. I am told that free trade is the salvation to America's problems.

Replies: 37   Views: 144,338   Pages: 3   [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]