Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Words of Wisdom
Replies: 29   Views: 107,640   Pages: 2   Last Post: May 8, 2009, 3:26 PM by: jaqueline_

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 29   Views: 107,640   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
zoeyk

Home page
Re: Words of Wisdom
Posted: Apr 16, 2009, 2:16 AM

Often attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, it is an adaptation of a poem published in 1905 by Bessie Stanley

One of the most enduring misattributions of a work to Emerson is that of an inspirational prose passage called ?Success? that appears, most often assigned to Emerson if to anyone, on many Web pages. It goes

To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one?s self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived?this is to have succeeded.1

As Joel Myerson demonstrates in ?Emerson?s ?Success??Actually, it is not,? Emerson Society Papers, 11, no. 1 (Spring 2000): 1, 8, this is not a work by Emerson.

In her 17 November 1990 column, ?Dear Abby? (Abigail Van Buren) answered a reader?s question ?How would you define success?? with the quote from ?my favorite American poet, essayist and philosopher? printed above. However, on 1 February 1992, a chastened Abby printed a letter from Arthur Stanley Harvey, who wrote that the quotation was based on something his grandmother, Bessie Anderson Stanley, had written in 1904, and that had been appropriated for many years by greeting card companies, including Hallmark, which had ?erroneously credited Robert Louis Stevenson as the author.? Abby then apologized, and printed what she described as the original from the 1904 Brown Book Magazine:

He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much; who has enjoyed the trust of pure women, the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task; who has left the world better than he found it, whether an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul; who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had; whose life was an inspiration; whose memory a benediction.

But more research shows another source. In the September 1904, Joe Mitchell Chapple, publisher of the Boston National Magazine, announced he would give $10,000 for ?Heart Throbs,? which he defined as ?those things that make us all kin; those things that endure?the classics of our own lives.? The people who sent in the ten best contributions would receive a pile of silver dollars, ?one silver dollar placed flat upon the other,? as ?will measure your exact height?; other major winners would receive twenty-five, ten, or five dollars; and five hundred lucky people (out of a total of 840 winners) would receive a dollar each. The results from this contest were published in a book, appropriately titled Heart Throbs, but it contained nothing by Stanley.2 Due to the success of this book, a second volume of Heart Throbs was published in 1911, ?Contributed by the People,? according to the title page. Unlike the first volume, this one contained ?the voluntary contribution of thousands,? including, on the very first page, ?What is Success?? by ?Bessie A. Stanley.? Significantly, Emerson?s ?Good-Bye? is also included (p. 7-8). The proximity of Stanley?s work to Emerson?s suggests that someone might have made the initial misattribution by copying Stanley?s work, then returning to seek the author and mistakenly using Emerson?s name from three leaves later; Stanley?s name appears on the third line of a verso page, Emerson?s on the fifth of a verso page, making such an eyeskip possible.3

1. A popular variation of this reads ?To live well, to laugh often, to love much, to gain the respect of intelligent people, to win the love of little children. To fill one?s niche and accomplish one?s task, to leave the world better than one finds it whether by an improved flower, a perfect poem or another life ennobled. to never lack appreciation of earth?s beauty or fail to express it, to always look for the best in others, to give the best one has. To make one?s life an inspiration and one?s memory a benediction. This is success.?

2. Heart Throbs, [ed. Joseph Mitchell Chapple] (Boston: Chapple Publishing Company, 1905), pp. v-vi.

3. Heart Throbs, Volume Two, [ed. Joseph Mitchell Chapple] (Boston: Chapple Publishing Company, 1911), pp. ii, 1-2. Surprisingly, ?What is Success? is attributed to ?Anon.? in the index.
The text of ?What is Success?? differs in wording from that published by ?Dear Abby? as follows:

He . . . much; [?who has enjoyed the trust of pure women? not present; ?who has gained? present] the respect . . . task [?who has left the world better than he found it? not present], whether [?by? present] an improved . . soul; [?who has never lacked appreciation of earth?s beauty, or failed to express it? present] who has always . . given [?them? not present] the best . . . inspiration; [?and? present] whose memory a benediction.

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Apr 15, 2009 8:21 PM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
jaqueline_

Posted: Apr 16, 2009, 5:16 AM

Thanks Zoey. It looks like my research has been narrowed down. Even with the internet as a resource, I miss living a hop, skip, and a jump from the Carnegie Library. Now my search is on for the 1904 Brown Book Magazine...

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Apr 16, 2009, 5:30 AM

heres the May 1904 edition for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/BROWN-BOOK-OF-BOSTON-1904-05-LADIES-FASHION-2-magazines_W0QQitemZ370124692341QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting .

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
baddsixx9

Home page
Posted: Apr 16, 2009, 1:01 PM

Wow nice work Zoey.....I TOTALLY thought that was Emerson from citations I'd seen in the past and kickass of Jaq to start this thread in the 1st place IMO....cool topic in general that I bet takes on a life of it own. Speaking of which I have one that I'd like to see found that's eluded me for some years as well. It too was attributed to Emerson (methinks) and the best I can recall to paraphrase is "Your actions are a beacon standing five feet above your head screaming at me so loud that I cannot hear a word that you are saying." Anyone heard that before or know where it can be found and correctly quoted/attributed? BTW no reply from Parry's foundation yet, but just as well for me cuz I just got Nikki Sixx's book in the mail lol

jaqueline_

Posted: Apr 16, 2009, 2:59 PM

Yes Zoey, nice work...thank you.

"Your actions are a beacon standing five feet above your head screaming at me so loud that I cannot hear a word that you are saying."

It seems to me that I have seen this passage in my literary travels, although at the moment I can't remember where. Even though the sentiment has been conveyed in many ways for thousands of years, this particular verbiage sounds as though it could have been spoken by Benjamin Franklin, or Thomas Jefferson, or William Penn. I think it has a rather colonial ring to it. I will post it at the school where I teach. Perhaps someone there will be familiar with it.

Message was edited by: jaqueline_ at Apr 16, 2009 5:59 AM

jaqueline_

Posted: Apr 16, 2009, 3:07 PM

Recently I stumbled upon the following 2 quotes attributed to Albert Einstein. I am posting both of them as they seem to me to be apropos to this thread. By the way, there were more than a few who considered Einstein to be rather eccentric and a bit strange.

"What is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular."

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Message was edited by: jaqueline_ at Apr 16, 2009 6:08 AM

jaqueline_

Posted: Apr 17, 2009, 2:47 PM

Following is another essay I have come across on two separate occasions. To the best of my knowledge the author is unknown...

Two Wolves

One evening a very old and wise grandfather told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside all people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret,
greed, arrogance, fear, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, deceitful, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, courage, and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked
his grandfather, "Which wolf wins?"

The old man simply replied, "Whichever one you feed."

Message was edited by: jaqueline_ at Apr 17, 2009 8:49 AM

Message was edited by: jaqueline_ at Apr 17, 2009 6:02 AM

baddsixx9

Home page
Posted: Apr 18, 2009, 12:00 AM

I recall that one being credited to American Indians of some tribe....ok google says (lol) Cherokee...
http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TwoWolves-Cherokee.html

jaqueline_

Posted: Apr 24, 2009, 2:20 PM

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, however people will never forget how you made them feel."

~Maya Angelou~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jaqueline_

Posted: Apr 24, 2009, 2:23 PM

"When you make a 'mistake', there are only three things you should do about it:

1. Admit it
2. Learn from it
3. Try not to repeat it

~author unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jaqueline_

Posted: Apr 26, 2009, 5:07 PM

Following is an excerpt from Kahlil Gibran's book titled "The Prophet"

Good and Evil

And one of the elders of the city said, "Speak to us of Good and Evil."

And he answered:

Of the good in you I can speak, but not of the evil.

For what is evil but good tortured by its own hunger and thirst?

Verily when good is hungry it seeks food even in dark caves, and when it thirsts, it drinks even of dead waters.

You are good when you are one with yourself.

Yet when you are not one with yourself you are not evil.

For a divided house is not a den of thieves; it is only a divided house.

And a ship without rudder may wander aimlessly among perilous isles yet sink not to the bottom.

You are good when you strive to give of yourself.

Yet you are not evil when you seek gain for yourself.

For when you strive for gain you are but a root that clings to the earth and sucks at her breast.

Surely the fruit cannot say to the root, "Be like me, ripe and full and ever giving of your abundance."

For to the fruit giving is a need, as receiving is a need to the root.

You are good when you are fully awake in your speech,

Yet you are not evil when you sleep while your tongue staggers without purpose.

And even stumbling speech may strengthen a weak tongue.

You are good when you walk to your goal firmly and with bold steps.

Yet you are not evil when you go thither limping.

Even those who limp go not backward.

But you who are strong and swift, see that you do not limp before the lame, deeming it kindness.

You are good in countless ways, and you are not evil when you are not good,

You are only loitering and sluggard.

Pity that the stags cannot teach swiftness to the turtles.

In your longing for your giant self lies your goodness: and that longing is in all of you.

But in some of you that longing is a torrent rushing with might to the sea, carrying the secrets of the hillsides and the songs of the forest.

And in others it is a flat stream that loses itself in angles and bends and lingers before it reaches the shore.

But let not him who longs much say to him who longs little, "Wherefore are you slow and halting?"

For the truly good ask not the naked, "Where is your garment?" nor the houseless, "What has befallen your house?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jaqueline_

Posted: Apr 26, 2009, 6:15 PM

Following is another excerpt. This one from Victor Frankl's book "Man's Search for Meaning".

We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing:

The last of the human freedoms ~ to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.

jaqueline_

Posted: May 1, 2009, 3:31 PM

Another excerpt from Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet"

Friendship

And a youth said, "Speak to us of Friendship."

Your friend is your needs answered.

He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.

And he is your board and your fireside.

For you come to him with your hunger, and you seek him for peace.

When your friend speaks his mind you fear not the "nay" in your own mind, nor do you withhold the "ay."

And when he is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart;

For without words, in friendship, all thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born and shared, with joy that is unacclaimed.

When you part from your friend, you grieve not;

For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain.

And let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit.

For love that seeks aught but the disclosure of its own mystery is not love but a net cast forth: and only the unprofitable is caught.

And let your best be for your friend.

If he must know the ebb of your tide, let him know its flood also.

For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?

Seek him always with hours to live.

For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness.

And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.

For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.

jaqueline_

Posted: May 7, 2009, 4:22 PM

Yet another excerpt from "The Prophet"

Self-Knowledge

And a man said, "Speak to us of Self-Knowledge."

And he answered, saying:

Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights.

But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge.

You would know in words that which you have always know in thought.

You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams.

And it is well you should.

The hidden well-spring of your soul must needs rise and run murmuring to the sea;

And the treasure of your infinite depths would be revealed to your eyes.

But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure;

And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line.

For self is a sea boundless and measureless.

Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth."

Say not, "I have found the path of the soul." Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path."

For the soul walks upon all paths.

The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed.

The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals.

jaqueline_

Posted: May 8, 2009, 3:26 PM

...and another...

Then said a teacher, "Speak to us of Teaching."

And he said:

No man can reveal to you aught but that which already lies half asleep in the dawning of our knowledge.

The teacher who walks in the shadow of the temple, among his followers, gives not of his wisdom but rather of his faith and his lovingness.

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

The astronomer may speak to you of his understanding of space, but he cannot give you his understanding.

The musician may sing to you of the rhythm which is in all space, but he cannot give you the ear which arrests the rhythm nor the voice that echoes it.

And he who is versed in the science of numbers can tell of the regions of weight and measure, but he cannot conduct you thither.

For the vision of one man lends not its wings to another man.

And even as each one of you stands alone in God's knowledge, so must each one of you be alone in his knowledge of God and in his understanding of the earth.

Replies: 29   Views: 107,640   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Back to Topic List