Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: throwing games vs ones self
Replies: 37   Views: 144,490   Pages: 3   Last Post: Apr 14, 2009, 4:25 AM by: richardiii

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 37   Views: 144,490   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
mmammel

Home page
Re: throwing games vs ones self
Posted: Apr 7, 2009, 11:17 PM

koila,
OK, that was a good game in 10. The rule has nothing to do with ratings of players, just trying to eliminate games that were not really completed. Maybe 8 total moves? lol. How much damage does having the short, unfinished games do?? Probably not a lot....

mmammel

Home page
Posted: Apr 7, 2009, 11:20 PM

Oh duh, it was in 8 moves! Maybe give user the opportunity to filter by number of moves, rating etc. I forget what is available right now for filtering...

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Apr 8, 2009, 2:22 AM

mark your new idea is even better. the filtering choice.
i agree, and i doubt any would have a reason to disagree.
other than dweebo who would need to script it in of course.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
gaylen

Home page
Posted: Apr 8, 2009, 2:43 AM

No reason to delete low level play games!....unless there are really crap games like 5 moves or less (which would be good to remove). It's like cleaning up garbage files on your computer.

A filter option, where you could eliminate games from the database for x amount of moves or less would be good, thereby eliminating most of the bs games and making the stats a little more real.

Maybe have another filter which would only show the worst games played, thereby showing beginning players what not to do; or players like me that can't remember ____

baddsixx9

Home page
Posted: Apr 8, 2009, 9:03 AM

Any high rated player could go and put fake games unrated in the db against their alt to confuse players searching the db (without violating the terms of the site I might add), or if 2 or more players wanted, they could launch a garbage campaign and saturate the db with BS......filtering wont solve the vulnerability inherent in the db. Its like the library or the radio or anything else in life, you hafta weed through the crap to get to whats good. I think its just unnecessary work for Dweebo in my ever so humble opine. The only way to really discourage the practice is to make all games rated.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Apr 8, 2009, 9:13 AM

or split and create two separate databases, one for rated and one for unrated.
although not sure how, i must assume someone will disagree with what ever i just said

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
raidengl

Home page
Posted: Apr 8, 2009, 11:56 PM

I like the idea of two databases one for rated and one for unrated. It would simply require a checking function in the code to make it happen. The function would simply say something to the effect of "is this game rated yes or no? If yes go to game recording function X if no go to game recording function Y." That's obviously many lines of code written in plain speak but you get the idea.

richardiii

Posted: Apr 14, 2009, 4:25 AM

The solution is quite simple; any player may report any other player for possible fraudulent play. That player's games and his IP addresses would be examined by Peter to determine if there may be questionable activity. The player could possibly be questioned by Peter for more information. If Peter concludes that that player is involved in fraudulent play he can then decide to ether eliminate some or all games of that player from the DB, and could also eliminate that name from the site. Problem solved.

Personally, I don?t care that a player does such a thing. Just more points for me when he finally plays me, well if he plays me, and if he won?t, then maybe I?d like a new thingy attached to his\her name much like the crown attached to the winner of tours here, just instead of a crown it could be a dung pile. LoL.

Replies: 37   Views: 144,490   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Back to Topic List