Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Purpose and Direction
Replies: 10   Views: 3,716   Pages: 1   Last Post: Sep 3, 2023, 4:41 AM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 10   Views: 3,716   Pages: 1  
secshun8

Home page
Purpose and Direction
Posted: Aug 23, 2023, 1:12 AM

I enjoy reading and pondering the forum posts and though I would often like to contribute to the conversations, I do not feel informed enough to do so. I lack a full understanding of the purpose of the site and, therefore, the direction in which everyone feels it should or should not move. Is the site maintained as a labor of love? Is it a business with the intention to grow, prosper and profit? Is it a hobby? Something else? If I understood the purpose and intention of the site I would certainly feel more able to join conversations in which the site's direction is essentially the focus. I would thoroughly appreciate anyone who can clearly articulate the purpose and intention behind this wonderful site and free-time home for some of us.

Literature and Philosophy instructor. Cop watcher. Treasure hunter. Writer. Constitutionalist.

invictus

Re: Purpose and Direction
Posted: Aug 24, 2023, 2:06 AM

that is a question only rainwolf can fully answer.
but having known wolf many years i can confidently say that it is a labor of love and not profit.

bloodied but unbowed
valleyboy

Posted: Aug 24, 2023, 4:30 AM

It's a place to have your say, bud.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Aug 24, 2023, 3:12 PM

I wanted it to grow, that was the main reason I added apps, new features, and new technologies so it could survive the modern internet. But I failed. Now it's a mix of sunken cost and labor of love, I'm not ready to let it die.

gasket

Posted: Aug 24, 2023, 6:49 PM

Are there any further plans for changes now that swap2 has been implemented? I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I wouldn't at all mind paying more for a subscription if it meant access to things like a puzzle generator or some kind analysis mode where you could save variations.

Most interested in playing swap2 rules
secshun8

Home page
Posted: Aug 25, 2023, 2:32 AM

I appreciate the meaningful response. You are to be commended - honored, rather - for the time, effort, money and everything else it takes to maintain the site. With the understanding that pente.org is not a business project, the only question I might ask is simply, How can we help? Are there things others might do to relieve any of the burdens and pressures which I assume to be inherent in maintaining a game site?

Literature and Philosophy instructor. Cop watcher. Treasure hunter. Writer. Constitutionalist.
nedhall17

Posted: Aug 25, 2023, 11:10 PM

I'd be happy to help in any way, too. For example, maybe some of us could work together to add to the tutorials? Or maybe work with you (rainwolf) to design some interactive tutorials? Anyway, I want to echo secshun8's comments about honoring you for this work!!

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Aug 26, 2023, 6:16 AM

No set plans, this development burst came after years of nothing.
I'm keen to finish my infrastructure changes, so I can one-click redeploy in case of catastrophe. Do some more testing on the automagical live tournaments so those can run without supervision. Game changes take the most work because I have to change 4 codebases (backend, web, iOS, Android) every time, switching to 2 by using react native is interesting but a behemoth job to undertake.

teasera

Home page
Posted: Aug 31, 2023, 7:59 PM

Yes, please let me know what I can do to help. I suck at pente, but I am an experienced website coder if a few years out of date. I also have experience with database design and coding, although not primarily online.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Sep 2, 2023, 7:33 PM

Meta's Code Llama might be useful for further development of the site, based on how rainwolf has described it. It's open source and can be used for commercial purposes.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Sep 3, 2023, 4:41 AM

I got a subscription to copilot a month ago, the results were mixed, but it's certainly helpful. Only to suggest code snippets, not much more than that.

I think the best I can do for this place is to find a motivated successor, or perhaps open-source the whole thing.

Replies: 10   Views: 3,716   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]