Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: captcha
Replies: 5   Views: 54,985   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 10, 2017, 4:01 AM by: madmike

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 54,985   Pages: 1  
rainwolf

Home page
captcha
Posted: Nov 3, 2017, 1:05 PM

The captcha should be mostly non-intrusive and limited to checking a box most of the time.

The captcha documentation does say that it's mostly triggered when there's unusual traffic from your machine to google.

My first suggestion is to find out if your box hasn't been owned if google keeps asking you to take a more extensive robot-test.

dmitriking

Re: captcha
Posted: Nov 4, 2017, 3:38 AM

This is interesting. I didn't fully process the significance of this post until I read it a second time.

"The captcha should be mostly non-intrusive and limited to checking a box most of the time."

Am I interpreting this correctly, that sometimes, perhaps often, users only need to click the box that says "I'm not a robot," and don't have to do any of the additional tests at all?

I've always assume that everyone is given at least one "test" in addition to checking the "I'm not a robot" box, mainly because I've always been given at least one.

If I'm given the test for roads or cars (or more recently, buses), the test ends when I finish, and I'm allowed to post. But when I'm given the street signs test, it makes me repeat the test 3 to 8 times, and in all but one instance, it then moves on to either the roads test or the cars test.

I realize this is not of great importance, although now I'm concerned that something is wrong with my computer. For what it's worth, my Norton anti-virus indicates no problems.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Nov 4, 2017, 4:49 AM

Correct, Dmitri. Most of the time I only need to check the I'm not a robot box. A couple of exceptions which I think I've noticed are if I reply to a thread that I started adding additional information, clarification or what have you before someone else replies I tend to get hit with the tests more frequently. Possibly also on posts in which I add a link. This makes sense, since robots and/or spammers would be more likely to exhibit those two traits than the average forum poster, so the test gets triggered.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 4, 2017, 11:41 AM

dmitriking: do you check the box before you start writing your message or right before you press "preview"?

I usually do the latter, but when I did the former, the captcha result (even if it was just checking the box) would time out by the time I was ready to post and Google would ask for a confirmation or come back with more in-depth tests.

dmitriking

Posted: Nov 4, 2017, 11:02 PM

> dmitriking: do you check the box before you start
> writing your message or right before you press
> "preview"?
>
> I usually do the latter, but when I did the former,
> the captcha result (even if it was just checking the
> box) would time out by the time I was ready to post
> and Google would ask for a confirmation or come back
> with more in-depth tests.

(Silly me; I just now discovered how to include the text of the post i am replying to.)

I always click the box right at the end when I am ready to submit.

I wouldn't give it too much thought or concern; it may well have to with the dinosaur of a computer I'm using. It's a 10-year old desktop that has been on death's doorstep for several years, struggling at times to perform basic functions. It probably has all sorts of update and compatibility issues. Most of the time I don't bother because attempts to update things don't always work anyway.

I'm somewhat surprised I'm even able to play in the real-time game room, since apparently some players cannot.

madmike

Posted: Nov 10, 2017, 4:01 AM

You have to hold your tongue just right....then check the box

Replies: 5   Views: 54,985   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]