Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: What pente can do for you? lol
Replies: 17   Views: 160,779   Pages: 2   Last Post: Feb 1, 2015, 6:50 AM by: cfisch

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 17   Views: 160,779   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
foster007

Re: What pente can do for you? lol
Posted: Jan 14, 2015, 1:33 PM

hi, yes the game changed my life, i was destitute and without direction, no light at the end of the tunnel, and the game showed me the way and the light ! amen

brf

Home page
Posted: Jan 16, 2015, 7:04 AM

for many people it's probably just a fun diversion but if you're lucky and work hard at it (and play over and over), you'll get sucked into it's addicting nature and can't escape.

I can personally attest that when that happens it can suck many hours of your life and that if you continue to keep playing it, you'll dream of stone positions (it does happen, I come up with some good stuff sleeping over a tough position in a game).

As far as affecting other areas of your life, I do think Pente has some crossover into other aspects of the day to day. I have found myself many times looking at a problem as though it was a pente position and trying to see 5 moves ahead to get the upperhand. If you play a lot of pente, your brain will eventually warp and ingrained stone logic will take over the universe.

cfisch

Posted: Feb 1, 2015, 6:50 AM
2015-01-30_20-51-08_87.jpg (1.7 MB)
2015-01-31_16-35-36_111.jpg (1.4 MB)
2015-01-31_16-37-01_472.jpg (1.3 MB)
2015-01-30_21-00-38_566.jpg (1.5 MB)
2015-01-30_18-25-19_602.jpg (1.8 MB)

"..As far as affecting other areas of your life, I do think Pente has some crossover into other aspects of the day to day. I have found myself many times looking at a problem as though it was a pente position and trying to see 5 moves ahead to get the upperhand. If you play a lot of pente, your brain will eventually warp and ingrained stone logic will take over the universe. " [brf]

I don't mean to interrupt this all-too-lively discussion thread...but since it's been 2 weeks since brf last posted a reply, i'll take that chance.

Pente forces me (it seems) to focus my attention and to pay closer attention to potential dynamics which have yet to be expressed and demarcated. This exercise of my visio-mental faculties seems to translate over into other areas of my silly day-to-day stuff too. Whether or not there is truly economic benefit to be enjoyed (as xtraclassy proposes..or so i assume) is still a big question in my mind. Clearly I've seen little financial benefit from my goofy escapades over the last decade.

Now I have a weakness for leaning towards 'diversion', as brf mentioned. For me anyway, that means I use certain things, or engage in certain activities, in my life to help soften or mollify the undesirable side-effects of certain other things in my life.

For example, I'm including here pics as clues to a task (with several specific, and lofty, goals) which I set about pursuing recently. The task involves trying to figure out what relates to what..and identifying the 'exact' connections between them. -- take a look at the pics and you can probably see what I mean.

I will also mention that my wire-wrestling sport did not come with any kind of manual, or diagrams, or tags or labels (the one's in the pics are mine), or documentation of any sort. And this self-inflicted challenge is, by the way, how I was likewise first introduced to Pente. Over time however, and with persistence, I came to become much more appreciative of the ever-so-invisible power of visual imagination.

Now I will tell you from my experience that you gotta' definitely hold a number of variables in your mind as 'indefinite' when trying to tackle such a task as that shown via the pics. By analogy, this is not unlike what Bruce has done with his project to create & build a pente-AI program from scratch.

I firmly believe similar principles are in play, and necessary, when playing the game of Pente. Such that the exercise in my facility for holding open 'potentials' in the imaginative faculties of the mind is very helpful toward achieving one's desired goals in either context.

Message was edited by: cfisch at Feb 1, 2015 6:54 AM

Replies: 17   Views: 160,779   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]