Home » Forum Home » Development

Topic: You fix one problem and another pops up....
Replies: 0   Views: 19,047   Pages: 1  

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
dweebo

Home page
You fix one problem and another pops up....
Posted: Dec 5, 2003, 5:53 PM

You fix one problem and another pops up....

Last week I tried to solve the cookie problem people have been having. Basically the problem was that people would end up with double cookies and when they try to log out, only one cookie would get deleted (so a player is always stuck with one login). I believed the problem was with players logging into both http://pente.org AND http://www.pente.org/. So my solution was to start redirecting all requests to www.pente.org to pente.org. This worked great when I tested it but apparently was the cause of other problems. For some reason, it still is not clear to me, the java plugin would fail to load the game room applet after these changes for some players. It would fail to connect to the web server to get the applet. I believe the problem lies somewhere in the fact that the applet is cached locally, but it doesn't make much sense to me. For some players clearing the cache and trying again works, for other it doesn't.

In the end I stopped redirecting players from www.pente.org and I think the problem is now gone. But now the cookie problem could still happen, we'll see.

A few final notes. While I was messing with the cookies, I also changed the site to encrypt passwords in the database and in cookies. This just prevents hackers from finding your real password.

I also fixed another bug that I noticed while watching a few games last night. You may have noticed random players joining your room out of nowhere, but they aren't really there. Anytime a player finishes a rated game the server sends out the updated stats to all players. The applet was incorrectly ADDING that player to player lists in ALL tables. It was a dumb coding mistake on my part and is fixed now.

Pente Rocks!
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]