Home » Forum Home » Development

Topic: Building on OS X - database problems
Replies: 2   Views: 15,914   Pages: 1   Last Post: Sep 2, 2003, 5:14 PM by: dweebo

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 2   Views: 15,914   Pages: 1  
msells

Building on OS X - database problems
Posted: Aug 30, 2003, 9:00 AM

Been fiddling with this for a few days. Had it mostly working except for an exception somewhere in one of the Jive GetXXX things. Carefully checked my version numbers and found that I was running a later version of Jive than the suggested one.

So I reverted back to 3_0_7 and rebuilt from scratch. Then I got SQL connect problems (seem like a timeout). Fiddled a bunch and reverted to mysql 3.23.57 (was accidentally running 4) and rebuilt again. The SQL problems is still there.

gameServer.log looks all good and I do in fact get a gameserver on port 16000 (tested with telnet). But when I go for http://localhost/dsg/ I get a long delay and a sql error.

Oddly, /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -Ddsg -udsg_ro -pdsg_ro works just fine. Any clues?

Here's a Error report from gameDatabse.log (a similar one appears in the browser):
DEBUG 2003-08-30 02:42:35,357 - getStats()
ERROR 2003-08-30 02:42:57,409 - Problem getting stats
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: java.sql.SQLException: Server connection failure during transaction.
Attemtped reconnect 3 times. Giving up.
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:85)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:184)
at org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.AbandonedObjectPool.borrowObject(AbandonedObjectPool.java:117)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:110)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:312)
at org.pente.database.MySQLDBHandler.getConnection(MySQLDBHandler.java:85)
at org.pente.gameDatabase.SimpleMySQLGameStats.getStats(SimpleMySQLGameStats.java:95)
at org.pente.gameDatabase.SimpleMySQLGameStats.access$100(SimpleMySQLGameStats.java:27)
at org.pente.gameDatabase.SimpleMySQLGameStats$StatsUpdater.run(SimpleMySQLGameStats.java:213)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:554)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Server connection failure during transaction.
Attemtped reconnect 3 times. Giving up.
at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.createNewIO(Connection.java:1639)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.(Connection.java:485)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:341)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:83)
... 10 more
DEBUG 2003-08-30 02:42:57,411 - getStats()

Some background:
$ java -version
java version "1.4.1_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-39)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-14, mixed mode)
$ uname -a
Darwin Jamie-Sellss-Computer.local. 6.6 Darwin Kernel Version 6.6: Thu May 1 21:48:54 PDT 2003; rootnu/xnu-344.34.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

I've tried both tomcat-4.1.27 and tomcat-4.1.24.
Using mysql-3.23.57-apple-darwin6.4-powerpc and apache-ant-1.5.4.

I also tried fiddling with the DB connect strings in jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27/conf/server.xml trying 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost and my sql admin user instead of dsg_ro without any luck.

I had problems getting the patches to Jive to apply (filenames seem to have ~ endings and the patch files had ms-dos ^Ms). I ignored this assuming that I would have problems with the forums but that I could debug this later.

Thanks for any assistance - my wife is totally adicted so I'd like to setup a small server for her to play friends on.

Marty.

msells

Re: Building on OS X - database problems
Posted: Aug 30, 2003, 2:31 PM

It's something to do with using named pipes for the SQL connection - I removed the socketFactory=com.mysql.jdbc.NamedPipeSocketFactory and it's all good.

-m

dweebo

Home page
Re: Building on OS X - database problems
Posted: Sep 2, 2003, 5:14 PM

Hey!

Glad to have someone actually attempting to setup DSG. You've gotten further than most!

Sorry I've been out of town for the last week or so or I would have been able to help. I am pretty sure named pipes only work on Windows as you have found out. It is more efficient however, that is why I use them.

Good luck, let me know how everything goes.
-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
Replies: 2   Views: 15,914   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]