Replies: 0   Views: 24,619   Pages: 1  

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
watsu

Home page
Game- Poof Pente: lepews vs. watsu 09/05/2008
Posted: Sep 9, 2008, 3:16 AM

This was an excellent poof game- after lepews' great move of G9 (most recent move by P1 in the figure below), I basically couldn't see any way to avoid losing on captures, but my eventual choice of F11 at least made things interesting, I think.

If I'd been able to pursue for the fifth capture I could have won after that move, but alas, the fifth pair just wasn't to be found...
however, the game did illustrate my use of one of my favorite things about poof vs. regular Pente- a double keystone pair capture isn't always fatal in poof, unlike in regular Pente. My move to G12 effectively blocked both lines and gave me the initiative for a couple of moves.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, no forced fifth pair was forthcoming. As a for instance, an extra white stone @ E12 would have allowed the following sequence after white's E10 -L13 E13-D11 F15 (preventing G14 by poof)... E11 and P2 wins on the next move

Excellent game by lepews.

Message was edited by: watsu at Sep 8, 2008 10:23 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]