Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: Hammer and the Tournament rule
Replies: 3   Views: 25,483   Pages: 1   Last Post: Oct 9, 2002, 2:08 PM by: dmitriking

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 3   Views: 25,483   Pages: 1  
adam_south

Hammer and the Tournament rule
Posted: Oct 8, 2002, 1:02 PM

I was reading about the hammer opening witch i had been inadvertantly using and pondering on its many forms and came across something about the tournament rule affecting its use
on one of the links from this page, i was un able to determine how exactle what this rule was and how it affected
the use of the hammer. Any information or links where i could find this information would be greatly apprecieated.

Adam South

dmitriking

Re: Hammer and the Tournament rule
Posted: Oct 8, 2002, 2:40 PM

picture an imaginary square or box drawn using the lines G,N,7, and 13 on the pente board. This box would therefore be 6 units wide, extending 3 units from the center in any direction. Player 1 must play his first piece in the center, and his second piece has to be ON or OUTSIDE this imaginary box. No restrictions on any additinal moves for player 1, or on any moves at all for player 2.

This prevents player 1 from setting up a "potential" one his second move, such as K10 - H10, which therefore prevents player 1 from making a deadly triangle on his first three moves (for example, K10 H10 K12).

THe "hammer," as I understand it, is this:

1. K10 ... L11
2. N10 ... N11
3. K12

Player 1 has screwed up with the K12 move, because player 2 can now play ... M11, forming the dreaded hammer formation... black's stones are basically useless (review some of these games in the database to se why).

adam_south

Posted: Oct 9, 2002, 1:24 PM

ok thats all and well but some pretty mean triangle formations can still be set up this way, i often would do such against a friend of mine whom i visit. it is obvious what is being done in the situation when ya try but is still hard to counter, does not seem to affect it much from my point of view, course at the same time, i haven't played with the rule enough (at all) to see how drastically this affects things. thank you much for your info though and i will take your advice about checking out the games.

dmitriking

Posted: Oct 9, 2002, 2:08 PM

It is very difficult to set up a triangle this way.. it deifnitely cannot be done in the first three moves, so it would have to require player 2 making some very careless moves in order for it ti happen.

Replies: 3   Views: 25,483   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]