Home » Forum Home » Tournaments » Tournaments - General

Topic: Should we change the restriction for the Winter 2007 Tournament?
Replies: 17   Views: 89,713   Pages: 2   Last Post: Jan 13, 2007, 4:39 AM by: artie

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 17   Views: 89,713   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
karlw

Should we change the restriction for the Winter 2007 Tournament?
Posted: Dec 26, 2006, 10:56 PM

There are currently five players signed up for the winter 2007 below 1700 tournament who have a rating in the 1690s. The current restriction for the amateur tournament is you must have a rating below 1700 at the time you sign up, but this leaves open a giant loophole, allowing players who are by no means amateurs to enter the tournament and potentially ruin it for the less advanced players who wanted a chance to compete without the seasoned veterans knocking them out in round 1.

So the question I pose to you, the public, is this: Is there a better way? Can we find a way to more accurately separate the pros from the amateurs? Please present your ideas to me.

spifster

Re: Should we change the restriction for the Winter 2007 Tournament?
Posted: Jan 1, 2007, 9:40 AM

Maybe a sort of thing where you take their average rating for the weeks leading up to the signup? I don't know how well that would work in code, and would probably just result in people planning further in advance for this.

I know it is a problem, since I've seen multiple games in real time and in the db where people have pretty obviously sandbagged games, and some to the point where they played it out pretty regularly and then (or so it looked) they pretty deliberately threw the game at the end. People seem to want that silver crown pretty badly...

spifster

Posted: Jan 1, 2007, 9:41 AM

I think this is an important discussion, seeing how the signup technically just ended, so...

spifster

Posted: Jan 1, 2007, 9:41 AM

bump

spifster

Posted: Jan 1, 2007, 9:42 AM

Oh yea, I forgot it counts how many different people replied, not total replies.

Oh well, it's front now.

nodnarbo

Posted: Jan 2, 2007, 5:44 AM

Well, the current tournament has begun so it should be left alone for better or for worse, but something should be done about future tournaments.
My idea would be to go by the rating at the announcement of the tournament so players cannot effect their ratings in order to qualify, but I'm sure this is easier said than done. It is impractical to keep a record of the ratings of all the users on the site at a certain date, no? or maybe a list could be created of only those players over 1700.

just some ideas, this is not easily solved by just one brain.

nodnarbo

karlw

Posted: Jan 2, 2007, 7:03 AM

that sounds like a good idea nod. i might use that for next tournament, but yes, everyone is staying for this tournament.

mmark

Posted: Jan 2, 2007, 2:07 PM

tis a strange situation. FOr a while I have had a rating of under 1700 in reg pente - but the other night I played quite well, or maybe it was that my opponent (with a higher rating) was on bad form. I won most of the games and my rating shot up to over 1700.

This time of year it's no suprise ratings might change... more alcohol flows etc etc... or maybe that's just me...

Anyway, I did wonder if I'd be allowed to play in this tourney. When I signed up my rating was under 1700..

I don't mind either way if I stay or not. What do other players on the tourney think about this?

I'd be interested to know if there are any known guidelines on this, eitehr from Dweebo, or any other people in the know of such things..

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Jan 2, 2007, 4:15 PM

i was thinking about this a little this morning and came up with the same idea that nodnarbo had, i think it is a decent solution that isn't that hard to do and it seems pretty fair to me.

we should also probably run tournaments with even lower restrictions for new players, especially considering some of the players in this one, i have played many of them and they are good!

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
mmark

Posted: Jan 2, 2007, 4:32 PM

I think I ought to pull out of this tourney. My rating went above 1800 earlier, and now is just under 1800, I'm thinking that it is unfair on players entered with lower ratings, especially newer players.
I haven't completely decided yet, but am thinking I should pull out.
I'll decide later.

karlw

Posted: Jan 3, 2007, 4:22 AM

mmark, this is what i recommend:

play your games against your opponent, and before the end of round 1, tell me whether you want to drop or stay in. I will take care of the rest.

mmark

Posted: Jan 4, 2007, 12:33 AM

ok, thanks karl

chaosu

Home page
Posted: Jan 5, 2007, 5:14 PM

I didn't know about any new tourney, it was too bad announced i think. I got some emailspam at every topic i put answer (i already unchecked that option but...) and no notification at all about any bigger event : (

karlw

Posted: Jan 5, 2007, 10:23 PM

chaosu all you had to do was check this forum, where there is a topic called "sign up now for the winter tournament," or go to tournaments, where under upcoming tournaments is "winter 2007," or login to the main room, where there's been an ad saying "sign up now for the winter 2007" for the past 3 weeks, and a little message in the chat box saying "winter 2007 sign up NOW!"

billmo8

Posted: Jan 11, 2007, 11:03 PM

I viewed the players that managed to get their ratings down to just under 1700 as similar to boxers and wrestlers training to "make weight". It was amusing to me that there were five or six players rated in the 1690's when the tournament began and even funnier that some of them have since ballooned into the mid-1700's. Don't boxers gain like 20 pounds between weigh-in and the bell to round one? Anyway, I don't think any of this is a big deal. I look forward to the challenge.

Replies: 17   Views: 89,713   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]