Home » Forum Home » Completed » Pente - Fall 2006 Open

Topic: --Tournament Update: Forfeits--
Replies: 4   Views: 21,133   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 24, 2007, 6:12 PM by: dweebo

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 4   Views: 21,133   Pages: 1  
karlw

--Tournament Update: Forfeits--
Posted: Jan 24, 2007, 12:24 AM

In about 6 hours, Round 5 will (finally) come to an end, after 5 weeks of inaction. There remain 4 unplayed games, and the question of where the forfeits fall is a serious conflict of interest for me (if it goes one way, I advance, if it goes the other, I am out). Because of this, I have turned the reins over to dweebo for arbitration. He gets the final word, but here I will present my argument for what steps should be taken

The people who have not played their games are jennyferr, gnoza, and s3v3n. Obviously, jenny has been the most delinquent in playing on time, but she managed to catch up. For the remaining 2 matches, neither player has made much effort of any kind to set up a time to play, and so it is my opinion that neither player should get free points. Therefore, I think the best course of action would be two double forfeits, with all three players getting zero additional points. That leaves a tie for 2nd between me and gnoza, which is where the conflict of interest lies.

I realize that if I were to make this decision alone, I will probably get complaints about exploiting my position of power to stay alive in the tournament, even though I believe that this is the most logical course. I understand it may seem unfair, but the fact is no solution is fair, and I am not to blame for that, the players who didn't play their games are. I think double forfeits is the most equitable solution because none of the three gets preferential treatment.

This is my proposal, but it is not my decision. I leave it up to dweebo.

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.

richardiii

Re: --Tournament Update: Forfeits--
Posted: Jan 24, 2007, 1:03 AM

It is my earnest opinion that a small extension should be given with a warning that players not completing their rounds will be dropped from the tournament.

Jenny is not entirely at fault. She has showed up the last 2 days for her games, but her opponents have not.

R3

karlw

Posted: Jan 24, 2007, 2:01 AM

I've already planned a 24-hour extension, to allow dweebo to make his decision, but that is as much as they're gonna get. neither jenny, nor gnoza, nor 7, has put forth more than a minimal effort to play their games, and since they're all in the same time zone (except maybe jenny), it shouldn't have been that hard. They're all equally at fault as far as I can tell, which is why I think we should do all double forfeits. Dweebo has sent them all e-mails, and I've messaged them repeatedly. I don't think it's gonna materialize though.

You mentioned ejecting the players if they don't play their games. Obviously it doesn't matter for jenny and 7, but for gnoza, even if he forfeits he still has enough points to advance. I will leave it up to dweebo to decide this also.

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
gnoza

Posted: Jan 24, 2007, 1:21 PM

i'll be checking dsg today every hour from now and i hope i'll meet jenny

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Jan 24, 2007, 6:12 PM

If the matches aren't complete by the end of the day (EST) then I will make my decision.

Have you gotten a response from jenny yet gnoza? She did not reply to me, hopefully you tried to contact her and set something up.

I will try to be around today if you need anything else from me.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
Replies: 4   Views: 21,133   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]