Home » Forum Home » Completed » Pente - Fall 2006 Open

Topic: Next Deadline -- Please Read -- Rule Change
Replies: 12   Views: 21,446   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 23, 2007, 3:53 AM by: karlw

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 12   Views: 21,446   Pages: 1  
karlw

Next Deadline -- Please Read -- Rule Change
Posted: Jan 11, 2007, 12:07 AM

Because jennyferr found the giant loophole in my admittedly idiotic rule (I'm sure you all knew it was an empty threat) by playing me early and waiting out to see how the games end up, which I find annoying and unsportsmanlike, This is the new rule:

Next deadline: January 18th
No. of matches you need to have played: FOUR
Penalty if you do not meet this requirement: Minus 1 point from your score.

With jennyferr, I will be lenient if she gets to 3 matches by the 18th, but she will still need to finish her games by the 25th like everyone else.

It should be obvious that I will be enforcing this rule.

gnoza

Re: Next Deadline -- Please Read -- Rule Change
Posted: Jan 12, 2007, 6:33 PM

so maybe we shouldn't play because you will change rules again? ;/ and now we may not play with jennyferr at all? because why should we? she don't even bother to post a message on forum

so I should play with seven and don't play with jennyferr cause then I will have 4 games (the same aaru and richard)

karlw

Posted: Jan 12, 2007, 9:11 PM

i will not be changing the rules again. i wouldn't have even changed the rules if not for jennyferr's actions. Don't worry about the number of games you've played; if jennyferr does not play her games, I think what we will do is go to round 6 with me, you and rich. Hopefully, this won't be necessary, and jenny will play her games on time.

And please, if you see jenny, force her to play you.

karlw

Posted: Jan 12, 2007, 9:15 PM

so I should play with seven and don't play with jennyferr cause then I will have 4 games (the same aaru and richard)

if jenny still does not play her games, that is what I recommend, and from there we will move to the next round without her.

homebrew

Posted: Jan 14, 2007, 3:41 PM

Karl,

Based on your Dec. 14 posting entitled "The Final Round", it seems clear that the next round would be the "championship round" and that only two players would advance. Based on my reading of this posting the goal is to get "2 clear top players" for the final round. Why are you now talking about 3 players advancing to the next round? Will round 6 be the championship round?

The tournament to this point has been well run and I was just wondering if round 5 as earlier indicated was going to narrow the field to two for a final championship round?

karlw

Posted: Jan 14, 2007, 6:25 PM

Yes brew, the goal is to get two players to advance, but if there is a tie for 2nd, as there almost certainly will be, we will have no choice but to have another playoff. That's just the way round robin works.

homebrew

Posted: Jan 14, 2007, 7:19 PM

True, but shouldn't the playoff be between you and rich for the right to face off against gnoza in the finals since, as it appears, he will win this round and have earned the right to advance to the finals? That seems to be what the rules would dictate based on your Dec. 14 posting announcing the beginning of the final round. If gnoza, after having won this round, has to once again face you and rich to qualify for the championship round, his victory in round 5 would mean very little.

homebrew

Posted: Jan 14, 2007, 7:22 PM

Of course, jennyferr could come out of hiding and possibly clear this mess up

homebrew

Posted: Jan 14, 2007, 7:30 PM

Hello! jenny and gnoza are both logged in right now. Crack the whip Karl and get them playing

karlw

Posted: Jan 15, 2007, 2:33 AM

i appreciate the ideas, brew, but we're gonna stick with the format that we've been with from the beginning (it'd be dweebo coding for that change, and i've already asked him to do too much for this tournament), and have a round 6 if necessary.

Needless to say, I find that the round robin format, while in many ways the best, is not at all practicable in a live game tournament with players from around the world. I've learned my lesson, and from now on we're doing round robin for the turn-based tourneys, and swiss or double elim for the live tourneys.

karlw

Posted: Jan 23, 2007, 3:00 AM

well jenny showed up and played half her games, only serving to make things even messier. in the chaos of forfeits and double forfeits, things are gonna be ugly if jenny doesn't play her games in the next 27 hours.

spifster

Posted: Jan 23, 2007, 3:40 AM

i have seen her on during the day after about 1pm here...

karlw

Posted: Jan 23, 2007, 3:53 AM

i really have no idea how i'm going to settle these remaining games. i've gone to dweebo for help. i'll go with what he recommends.

Replies: 12   Views: 21,446   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]