Home » Forum Home » Turn-based

Topic: Time out - not working?
Replies: 8   Views: 24,946   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 15, 2019, 7:22 PM by: adarnold

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 8   Views: 24,946   Pages: 1  
mz8d23

Time out - not working?
Posted: Mar 29, 2016, 1:13 AM

I have 2 turn based pente games for which the timeout feature does not appear to be working. Once the timeout time is reached the dashboard shows 0 hours 0 minutes left until that minute is done, then it shows 0 hours 59 minutes left. The timeout time on the game gets set to 1 hour after the previous timeout, though my opponent has not made any play.

Is this known or expected behavior?

The 2 games in question are:

https://www.pente.org/gameServer/tb/game?gid=50000000112968&command=load&mobile&w=693&h=543

https://www.pente.org/gameServer/tb/game?gid=50000000112967&command=load&mobile&w=693&h=543

be_water

Re: Time out - not working?
Posted: Mar 29, 2016, 3:33 AM

What is happening is automatic vacation.

Your opponent has some vacation days and whenever one of his turnbased games is about to time out an hour is deducted from his vacation time and added to all of his games. You can see how much vacation time you have by looking under "My Profile" then "Preferences" but I don't know if there is a way to see how much vacation time your opponent has. So you may not be able to see how long it will take for a time out to happen.

sittinduck

Posted: Nov 5, 2017, 7:16 PM

There should be an option for strict time out..1 day, 2 days, 3 days, etc. I have a 3-days game going and my opponent has no moved for 11 days. Strict time out would be nice. especially for non subscribers.

adarnold

Posted: Jan 14, 2019, 1:52 AM

I'm in the same boat . I have 8 players that haven't moved since 12 Dec 18. I understand that on 1 Jan each get another 10 days added, so it appears that it will be 240 days till they are deleted. That is ridiculous. If a person requests vacation and specifies how long, at the end of that time they are deleted after 2 days or so. Period. Unfortunately, the world now does not require people to be responsible, and just panders to them. In this situation, we should not have to wait months to take them off the list. If I timeout without requesting vacation, I should automatically forfeit the timed out games and lose rating for each. Might give me an incentive to pay attention.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jan 14, 2019, 11:27 AM

I'm not sure how you get to the 240 days number, perhaps you mean 240 hours? If their vacation was replenished on Jan 1st, and about 10 business days have passed, which should be one of these days, their games will timeout.

adarnold

Posted: Jan 14, 2019, 8:23 PM

Yes, you are correct. It was meant to say 240 hours. So essentially they have (beginning 1 Jan) 240 timeout count-downs. No need for me to say any more.

adarnold

Posted: Jan 15, 2019, 2:47 PM

Wonderful!! Someone cleared them out! Thank you whomever! Hopefully. someone re-thinks the timeout setup and possibly modifies it. If someone needs vacation, then they specify the length and let their opponents know. Seems that's the courteous thing to do. Timeout should be a penalty, not a gift.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jan 15, 2019, 2:55 PM

They cleared out on their own as your opponent's vacation (timeout credit) ran out. We previously had a system of manually setting vacation days that could prevent timeouts, but a few years ago there were calls to change this to an automatic one, where you have a limited supply (10 days) of floating vacation days, to prevent accidental timeouts in case of unforeseen circumstances.

Unfortunately, new players who never return after registering and starting games do create some frustration. There's already some cleanup happening, like removing their invitations if they don't sign in again for 5 days, I might limit the initial timeout credit for new players to less days in the future.

By tapping/clicking on your opponent's name, their profile page opens and there you can see how much timeout credit they have left.

adarnold

Posted: Jan 15, 2019, 7:22 PM

Thank you Rainwolf, for everything you do.

Replies: 8   Views: 24,946   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]