Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: custom pente boards?
Replies: 5   Views: 31,980   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jul 2, 2011, 11:21 PM by: gemini16th

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 31,980   Pages: 1  
remix79

custom pente boards?
Posted: Jul 1, 2011, 4:51 AM

Hello,

Have any of you members made your own custom Pente boards, either physical ones or electronic designs?

I ask because I wanted to make my own Pente board on cloth and went searching for downloadable designs from the internet. However, I found very few Pente board designs (only one at BGG). I was reduced to making my own spartan design, as you can see below (feel free to distribute).

So if you'd like to share your designs, feel free!

I'm also open to advice from anyone else who has printed their own pente/go boards on cloth; what cloth worked best for you? Ideally, I'd like something that can either be wadded up and thrown in a bag or folded and not show too many wrinkles upon being flattened out, yet doesn't distort or stretch during play. I have ordered my spartan design to be printed onto some large scraps of fabric and am eager to see how it works out.

I'd also like the fabric game board to serve double-duty as the stone sack. I am trying to figure out the best way to do this; zippers along the game board edge? A string embedded along the board game border so as to cinch the whole thing up into a sack?

Thanks for your input.

remix

Message was edited by: remix79 at Jun 30, 2011 10:51 PM

gaylen

Home page
Re: custom pente boards?
Posted: Jul 2, 2011, 5:56 PM

Looks like you made your board with excell?? like I did years back. I colorized it. You could also add some kind of backgrounds like mandelbrots or whatever.

You just gave me the idea of doing t-shirt prints with a penteboard. After I get off the farm this summer I plan to get some screen printing equipment so that sounds like another print idea.

It sounds like this type of board would be good if you're traveling light, but seems like you would have to tack it down, or velcro it to a firm surface. I would keep separate bags for the stones for convenience though.

A sturdy material like denim might lay flat, but wrinkle when folded. Something like silk might blow away while playing on a caribbean beach somewhere. Maybe carry a couple different type material prints around.

gaylen

Home page
Posted: Jul 2, 2011, 5:58 PM

Looks like you made your board with excell?? like I did years back. I colorized it. You could also add some kind of backgrounds like mandelbrots or whatever.

You just gave me the idea of doing t-shirt prints with a penteboard. After I get off the farm this summer I plan to get some screen printing equipment so that sounds like another print idea.

It sounds like this type of board would be good if you're traveling light, but seems like you would have to tack it down, or velcro it to a firm surface. I would keep separate bags for the stones for convenience though.

A sturdy material like denim might lay flat, but wrinkle when folded. Something like silk might blow away while playing on a caribbean beach somewhere. Maybe carry a couple different type material prints around.

gaylen

Home page
Posted: Jul 2, 2011, 6:01 PM

Well, once again I posted a double message, and once again I wish I knew how to delete the extra message.

remix79

Posted: Jul 2, 2011, 11:21 PM

Hi gaylen. I actually made it with Geogebra and just copied and saved the image from the clipboard into MS Paint. I should have thought of Excel, though! Backgrounds could work, too.

The t-shirt idea does sound good. I'm actually getting the board made at a t-shirt shop here in town. I agree, finding the perfect material will be a pleasant challenge.

gemini16th

Posted: Dec 3, 2012, 2:43 AM

I'm in the process of designing my own Pente board(love the game as much as chess). I'll be staying with the classical greek-style art border theme, but I wanted a "different" & unique board of my own. The latest idea I've had is a "faux Wedgwood" style board- since most of the english Wedgwood pottery featured classical greek ornament. The usual colors were a grayish(slate)blue with chalky-white raised ornament. Wedgwood pottery has been made in england since 1759.

Replies: 5   Views: 31,980   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]