Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Ten Greatest Pente Games of All Time
Replies: 4   Views: 33,545   Pages: 1   Last Post: Sep 2, 2010, 7:52 AM by: nosovs

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 4   Views: 33,545   Pages: 1  
aleph_1

Ten Greatest Pente Games of All Time
Posted: Sep 2, 2010, 2:36 AM

Any nominations for such a list?

I'll suggest one that I think might qualify. The date, 4/7/09. A pente.org live game. Nosovs had white, richardiii black. It's a beautiful sprawling game, 56 stones played in all, from rows 6 to 17, from columns H to S, culminating in a very rare nosovs loss with white, as captures finally went 4-5 to richardiii.

Additional suggestions?

watsu

Home page
Re: Ten Greatest Pente Games of All Time
Posted: Sep 2, 2010, 3:51 AM

First off, here's the game you just mentioned:

which is indeed a great game. It's actually listed in the P2 Hall of Fame games thread. It's hard to pick an all time top 10 list, I think because we have issues such as- Turn Based vs. Live and also potentially a lot of great games are unavailable to us- for example most games played at It's Your Turn before 2005, games played at pente.net, Scott Justice's P2 victory against Rollie Tesh from 1984(?), etc.

Do tournament victories rate higher than non tournament? Player caliber is obviously a key criteria, of course. Does a novelty third or fourth which can be taken apart without too much effort (1 or two hit wonder) count more or less than the first time a resilient new second move gets played.

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, I'm just tossing them out there for consideration. What about brilliant play to pull out a win as white? I love the following example game-

Finally, here's a tough game position from a past tournament-

K10,L11,N10,N11,M11,L12,L10,O9,L13,M10,L9,J10,O12,M10,J11,K10,L10,H10,K12,L8,M14,N15,N13,L11,L10,P11

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 2, 2010, 6:40 AM

we will all have our own opinions i think. but heres the main thing. you need to specify the criteria for top ten.
i might have a completely different criteria in my mind when making a list so our examples would end up very differently. i would lean towards epic novelties that take a common masters early P1 moves and put doubt of them in the minds of masters by way of a brilliant exploit they never knew of when designing the white offense.

if this sounds good, i can share what ive seen transform common lines over the years ive been here.

i already started a P2 hall of fame games thread before. but they were placed vaguely, since no criteria was specified.

z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 2, 2010, 6:48 AM

ok i just read the post by watsu... i some how missed what he was saying about criteria.
good points.
in fact those different ones you pointed out should probably not be combined. those are categories to stand on their own ide think.
so perhaps several top tens, of various categories then.
this would be most accurate than trying to force all categories together against their nature.

boy, i liked the one hit wonder catigory, i have several nominations there.. voting will be required since the list will be massive lol.

as far as amazing P2 novelties that decimate common master's P1 openings,.. that list is smaller, and i do know of a few of these nuklier bomb type moves.

some people would not want that much info publicly displayed tho possibly. i have gotten some negative feed back in the past for sharing stuff.

ide be interested to hear what nosovs and richard thinks is the best stuff, but i doubt it will be thier style to share that.

z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
nosovs

Home page
Posted: Sep 2, 2010, 7:52 AM

I think that commonly P2 wins can be considered as good for this games. It also have to be turnbased games because in on-line there are too many mistakes. Just because of not seriouse charackter of games.

Replies: 4   Views: 33,545   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]