Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: re: das boot
Replies: 6   Views: 36,651   Pages: 1   Last Post: Aug 3, 2009, 2:57 AM by: jhs55

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 6   Views: 36,651   Pages: 1  
invictus

re: das boot
Posted: Jul 29, 2009, 12:06 AM

i was on a table the other day w/ several players and the subject of the "boot" came up.in the 1 year(approx) that i have been on this site, i have never booted anyone.i commented that i thought that booting another player is cowardly, on the premise that if you have something to say, say it... i dont run from a fight, verbal or otherwise.words are just words...it is the value assessed to them by the individual receiving them that gives them weight.a kind of sticks and stones philosophy if you will.after a little thought, i wish to retract that statement.i do believe that perhaps there are instances in which giving another player the boot is appropriate. i am curious to know what the pente.org community sees as a legitimate reason to boot another player.some of the reasons brought up during this convo were: excessive rudeness, vulgarity, unsolicited advice regarding moves during a game, deliberate and continuing harassment, etc... please respond as i wish to know what the pente.org community sees as proper etiquette regarding this matter.thank you in advance for your responses...

bloodied but unbowed

invictus

Re: re: das boot
Posted: Jul 29, 2009, 1:15 AM

bump

bloodied but unbowed
watsu

Home page
Posted: Jul 29, 2009, 3:10 AM

Harrassing and/or excessively annoying behavior- particularly while as a spectator of rated games- would definitely qualify for bootable behavior in my book, as would move commentary during the course of a rated game by a spectator- even something as seemingly innocent as oh, I see a great move can have significant consequences. I wouldn't necessarily boot a player for a single such instance, but repeated behavior after a warning would earn a boot from me.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
jackschidt

Posted: Jul 29, 2009, 4:50 AM

I agree with watsu 100%.

In addition, seems like the owner of the table has the responsibility to police the conduct at their table. If the table owner turns out to be some kind of a pente-nazi, people will move away on their own.

However, while playing as a guest, there are a few people who have booted me from their table, thinking I was someone else. As I understand it, that is just a reaction to a few other people who have abused the previledge of playing as a guest (by harrasing other players). So I don't let it get to me when I get booted from a table because of mistaken identity. Never the less, I do wish those people doing the booting would be more careful; it might be a newbie they just got rid of.

richardiii

Posted: Jul 31, 2009, 4:33 AM

I believe a player should be booted if they are a masochist needing the painful steel toe of my new jackbooted nazi desire to shove it up so far up i can feel their tonsils tickling my heel. Yes I know, it's just an imaginary feeling, as the heels of my black leather boots make it impossible to feel anything but glee at the site of their bulging eyes.
Ok now, all you freaking masochists need to form a neat line single file! Quit pressing the player in front of you! It won't get through quicker, and I'm liable to be a real sadist and tell you "NO!" when it's your turn.

partica

Posted: Jul 31, 2009, 7:04 AM

I have booted several times for the following reasons:

a. Drunken rude behavior where the person was spamming the table and lobby with vulgarities offending most persons on the site for no apparent reason. (previous to ignore feature)

b. Harrassment of players visible to all present in the lobby and/or table. Harrassment being defined as statements being made toward another after being asked/told to stop such behavior. (Statements usually of a taunting/derogatory/negative nature)

c. When a secondary account was created for the sole purpose of negatively harrassing another player.

d. Soliciting sexual favors/naked pictures, etc...

I have never booted anyone for discussing moves during my games, but that is IMO good reason to remove someone, after warning of course.

I believe in most instances of booting it was only AFTER repeatedly asking them to stop the bootable offense, informing them of the consequence of the offending behavior, and basically being forced to do so due to their behavior/choices.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head, there is always possibility of more...Please note, table owners reserve the right to boot any one from a table for any reason.

jhs55

Posted: Aug 3, 2009, 2:57 AM

Gosh richard, can you tell us what you really are trying to say , I mean , whats your point !?.
Are you a drill sargent ?, can you repeat it one more time a bit more clearly what your boots do ?, becouse my boots are made for walking and thats just what they'll do and one of these days my boots are gonna walk all over you !..............!

Replies: 6   Views: 36,651   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]