Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: A...
Replies: 54   Views: 188,907   Pages: 4   Last Post: May 27, 2011, 5:16 AM by: ukie60

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 54   Views: 188,907   Pages: 4   [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
jackschidt

A...
Posted: Jul 11, 2009, 9:52 PM

Message was edited by: jackschidt at May 26, 2011 5:17 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Are you a Pente-Nazi?
Posted: Jul 11, 2009, 11:36 PM

rolmao,..well said, and yea ive been found guilty of doing this,...any time a new player gets in 1st or 2nd place on the leader board with in say 25 games i raise an eyebrow and say hmmmmm,... and feel compelled to ask them how they did it.
and yes i am guilty of making an alt name before.(since has been deleted tho)
so ok,..i admit ive been a Hippocrate in this regard, sorry

i my self before coming online to play, i had many years experience playing pente, but found that when i came here i was a blue player.
i thought i was damn good, but entering this place i found it impossible to land a red color in 25 games or ever close to that.
so when a new player gets red in 25 games i am just amazed, and well i suppose i smell trickery of the point system.

but yea i guess you got to break some eggs to make an omelette. and so we must allow the alt name regulars to cheapen the leader board in order to not scare off the new comers to this site. we'll just need to leave it to Dweebo to police the wrong doers by doing Duplicate IP Tracing, or something.

oh by the way players are still accusing me of being spifster. for about 2 years now ive been told this.

for the record - I AM NOT SPIFSTER lol. but im honored because he is a good player. thanks.

cheers,
zoeyk

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
richardiii

Posted: Jul 16, 2009, 12:31 AM

OHHHhhhhhhhh Nooooooo! But i like soooo much guessing who's who. I get to play a detective, and you know, the good-cop bad-cop routine is sooooo excruciatingly fun...

... but heeeeeeey... i just had a light go off in my head. Being a pente-nazi could have some really fun elements too, I could get all jack-booted and live it to the max. "Vee are here to take your stones and crush them under da treads of our tanks if youv do not cooperate and comply with our demands! Tell us whoo youv are, or you get to loose anoder finger!!"

pente_nazi

Posted: Jul 16, 2009, 1:59 AM

Knock-Knock

Who's there?

Gestapo.

Gestapo who?

(SMACK!!! Slapping you across the face) ... Vee vill ask zee questions!!!

alisontate

Posted: Jul 16, 2009, 11:56 AM

I just popped in for a quick visit, saw this thread and just had to say something.

Jack has summed up the situation beautifully. I have noticed this occur several times myself.

But I think this point can be taken even further by introducing a general community sponsored code of conduct. Not a hard line thing where if you misbehave you get thrown out or anything like that. What I'm talking about is a community based set of principals that everyone agrees on that foster friendship, fairness, respect, dignity, trust, and pride in being part of such a community. This would be a code that everyone actively upholds, behaves in a supportive and encouraging way to newbies, treats everyone with respect, and where one gently hints to someone who is being hard on another player to remember the community spirit.

Perhaps we could ask dweebo to place something on the dashboard as a reminder to everyone when they log in. Perhaps some kind of vision statement could be placed there.

Also, perhaps when newbies complete their 20 games, they get a formal automated welcome and are asked to take a pledge of upholding the community spirit (vision statement) and that this means behaving in positive and respectful ways to all other players.

For a look at what happened at another site, I notice that yahoo chess, after years of steadily declining numbers and degenerating language and behavior, has changed its policy so that until you have played a certain number of games you can't speak (write text) and the system has no guest facility so you have to create a username to play. The text that is entered now by established players is monitored/censored and you can be booted if you transgress. This is all intended to clean up the site and acclimatize newbies to how the established players conduct themselves so that they pick up on the mode of conduct before ever speaking. I don't think we have anything like that problem here of course and certainly there is no need to do anything like that at all, but the thing is that this happened not just because yahoo is a big corporation with an image to uphold, but also because chess is so huge that thousands play online and it is very difficult for the players to feel much of a sense of community, so yahoo could not call upon the community to do anything. It had little option in the end but to get draconian.

However, the membership of pente.org is small by comparison and so could easily create a sense of community, and could work together to build respect and comradeship. I know of some really great people in here who exactly typify this ideal, so its not as if there aren't people with the right stuff to lead the way.

It is up to this community to self regulate and behave in a way that encourages not only the participation of new players but the continued patronage of the existing ones.

Well done Jack!

painter62

Posted: Jul 21, 2009, 7:56 AM

I'm definitely not a pente naziz= not even good enough to be a scribe....but I do so love to play and am always lookiing for others who are "down" in the winning caterogo also. Maybe there should be a separate category for those of us who don't seem to win. We're trying, we just don't get it too well and need live playersl.
Please be patient with all ug learners.]
Kathy

jackschidt

Posted: Feb 1, 2011, 12:53 AM

Message was edited by: jackschidt at May 26, 2011 5:18 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Are you a Pente-_____?
Posted: Feb 1, 2011, 3:05 AM

well,.. jack,..

ill speak for my self here. guests invite me to play, and sometimes i accept as long as im not busy with projects.
and, ill play them some games. sometimes they play pretty good, even if they lose. and i enjoy the puzzles we create together. and they might even have a conversation with me about pente. and in the end when they are saying they need to go, i might ask them who they are, because its nice to remember who you had a good game with or nice conversation with, so that next time you see them you can pick up where you left off with some sort of reference.

and %99 of the time they will not tell me who they are, as if they are some sort of secret 007 agent where its national security to hide the identity from me. i don't get offended, and i don't get pushy. i just drop the whole thing right there. but i'll tell you this, when one day they come back and ask if i remember them, i might say "no, sorry, my memory of you does not exist".

do they have the right to hide the identity and not be harassed for the unveiling? of friggin course man..

i mean, if i walk on the street with a face mask and act like a total *** to every kind citizen i meet, im not goina go to jail right? no of course not....

but is it kinda old and lame, like a game a little kid would do to get a chuckle while actually being a complete douche bag to the other human who was trying to be open and social to them? yup,..its lame,.. and being lame is your right... tho theres a difference between a real guest, and a old timer posing as a guest. big difference.
its right up there with your old acquaintances going with a face mask on and peeping in your living room window from the bushs and then running away when seen...imho
but any ways..

and for the record, i have used aliases before to see their natural playing style if they dont know its me,.. but in the end after playing, i always ended up telling them it was me at some point.
that is the key difference between lame and not lame in that situation, imho.

z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Feb 1, 2011, 3:13 AM

and, stop using the term "nazi" so loosly.

there are some members here that get very offended by this. i my self am german and irish, however i do sympathize for what happened to the jews, and don't think the term should be flung around so freely. i think up2ng had made a point about this before. do it at your private table but not in the public fora i think.

z

valleyboy

Posted: Feb 1, 2011, 8:25 PM

here here...concur, zoe

jackschidt

Posted: Feb 2, 2011, 7:36 AM

Message was edited by: jackschidt at May 26, 2011 5:18 AM

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Feb 2, 2011, 11:29 AM

I think you go far from the existing situation. Someone name real problem like Pente-Nazi, so you have to say no I am not Pente-Nazi because to say - yes I am is stupid.
But the problem is that someone named as a guest at pente.org is playing with top red players . More over his level of playing and knowing last modern opening moves - able surely conclude that this is one of top players.
Really there are not so many top players in pente and I don't belive that someone from deep Texas vilage wake up , see this site and start to play as top player at once. As for old players they don't know last modern variants and still play old variants of opennings.
So, when you feel strength player it is normal to ask him who is he, it is not Pente-Nazi question , more over I guess if player played stupid , red player may be will not ask him who is he. Only if he was impressed his strength he can ask who is he , so this question show respect of player to his opponent, that he wanted to know about him.

valleyboy

Posted: Feb 2, 2011, 8:01 PM

Nosovs, please. One of my friends from a "deep Texas village" is a supervisor at Sandia Natl Labs...intelligent is as intelligent does...imagine a GO master sucking borscht...

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Feb 3, 2011, 1:08 AM

i think nosovs point was about if a player uses certain moves that reds use. there are many ways to skin a cat to win with white. the odds of a new player guessing the correct matching sequence we use is highly unlikely. its like guessing a combination sequence on a pad lock the first try... just unlikely.

valleyboy

Posted: Feb 3, 2011, 2:45 AM

Zoe, his point was clear and obvious...no interpretation needed

Replies: 54   Views: 188,907   Pages: 4   [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]