Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Most Improved Player(s)?
Replies: 6   Views: 37,697   Pages: 1   Last Post: Mar 2, 2009, 3:16 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 6   Views: 37,697   Pages: 1  
valthonis

Most Improved Player(s)?
Posted: Feb 17, 2009, 8:59 AM

So who do you guys think is the most improved player(s) from the past year is?
I remember playing kriswithak a long time ago, and she has improved a lot.
Rockman, got really good, really fast, but i dont know if he still plays...
And Maria517 has always kept on par with me, if not several rugs up the ladder...
Any others?

kriswithak

Home page
Re: Most Improved Player(s)?
Posted: Feb 17, 2009, 9:58 AM

I would say Gaylen, of course Jack Schidt would be red if he played rated...

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Feb 17, 2009, 10:39 PM

well,.. about 12 months ago i was blue in the 1600s i believe. so i elect myself lol ;P

but in all seriousness, this is a thread i was actually thinking of doing a couple months back.

i was inspired to do so when viewing a game by troglodite.
he was black, and he lost,..but, i saw something beyond that. the moves he did said alot of his ability to read the board. so i will say i see improvement in him.
heres the game im refering too. as you can see, a player doesnt need to win the game to show improvements IMO.

also mersenne, although she was naturally skilled from the gate, and the improvements are subtle. ive practiced with her enough to see the improvements. i will add that if she were ever to buckle down and study positional moves more she would greatly increase in her mastery. mersennes style is pure tactical ability.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
jackschidt

Posted: Feb 22, 2009, 5:49 AM

Thanks K, but there is no way I should be rated that high. I kind of hate to contribute to threads like this, where so many people get left out, especially newer players. And just by the very nature of people playing each other, no one can keep a rating without improving constantly. But since kris brought my name up, I guess I can say something.

When I first saw this thread, a couple of players did come to mind right off: Zoeyk and Mersenne are prime examples (pun intended). Study can realy pay off, but "craft" may be a better discription for how they approach Pente. Both of those players are much tougher than I remember last summer.

Then there are players like jhs_55 and karencita who can just jump up several hundred points in a very short time, even if they lose their killer-instinct for a little bit and slide a little here and there. Karen has a kill against nosovs when she was player-2; who else can say that? Everyone knows either of those players are capable of winning any game they play.

But even though I haven't seen him lately, watsu clearly loves this game. You can't help but get better at something you love.

richardiii

Posted: Feb 24, 2009, 4:38 AM

zoeyk. no question in my mind what so ever.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Feb 24, 2009, 9:50 AM

yeah so where is watsu and up2ng?

i miss having them around.

lepews too...

sad to see such great pente players disappear from our pente community.

hope they return.

Ps. thanks rich, I assume that was a rare moment of your seriousness

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
watsu

Home page
Posted: Mar 2, 2009, 3:16 AM

I'm still around for the occasional turn based game, but life is taking a front seat over Pente right now. But I do check in and will accept turn based challenges as long as I don't have too much on my plate at the time. I don't consider myself as a candidate for this thread, tho. More like a potential candidate for a most rust shaken off thread, since I've been playing off and on for 17 odd years or so now...

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 6   Views: 37,697   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]