Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: block data base for nosovs super tourney
Replies: 21   Views: 105,308   Pages: 2   Last Post: Jan 8, 2009, 4:21 AM by: partica

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 21   Views: 105,308   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
zoeyk

Home page
block data base for nosovs super tourney
Posted: Dec 31, 2008, 9:58 PM

i propose blocking the data base for 60 days starting january 1st for the openings of nosovs super pente tourney. if all are blocked i feel this would be fair.
the data base contains too much information. i think the tourney would be funner with out this handy cap available.

what do you think peter and alex?

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare

baddsixx9

Home page
Re: block data base for nosovs super tourney
Posted: Jan 2, 2009, 4:20 AM

You don't think this would simply tip the scale to favor the player(s) who had similar resources in the way of years of research and notation at their disposal on their local HD?

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jan 2, 2009, 7:26 AM

perhaps,...but i'll take my chances

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
dweebo

Home page
Posted: Jan 2, 2009, 4:17 PM

Speaking as a player of pente (and not the owner of pente.org), I do not want to block data base access. Blocking information to the entire world because of a handful of pente players seems unfair.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
nosovs

Home page
Posted: Jan 2, 2009, 6:49 PM

I think better to add to Base BRF, SPP Tournaments
All players has the same possibilities to use the same base, I think it is fair.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jan 2, 2009, 9:54 PM

oh,..well while your at it alex maybe you can share your personal data base made by your russian friend. it used to be on the internet but has since been removed

smeefpeef

Posted: Jan 2, 2009, 11:34 PM

As a frequent database user I feel compelled to chime in here in strong opposition to this idea.

Dweebo's comment that it "seems unfair" is a gross understatement in my opinion; to deny ALL players access to the DB just because a few big brains want to have a tournament is not merely unfair, it's downright tyrannical. Even suggesting it is an affront to the rest of us.

Nosov's idea seems fair to me as well, but I gather that what Zoey really wants is to block DB access to the tournament players during their tourney. Is it possible, Dweebo, to block access on a "per user" basis? That way, if these guys decide that's what they want to do, the rest of us would be unaffected. If that is not possible, then my vote on this idea is a very strong "Nay".

mersenne

Posted: Jan 3, 2009, 12:11 AM

It's not hard to use a spare account or create a new account if you're in the tournament. Or even share an account with someone not in the tournament.

baddsixx9

Home page
And he said unto them....
Posted: Jan 3, 2009, 12:21 AM

I'm with Smeef.........in regards to this issue, not in the biblical sense.

Mersenne, I respectfully must disagree and submit that only the the smartest of the smarty pants are even remotely close to possessing the God-like super-brains required to create a new account here.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jan 3, 2009, 3:57 AM

i was not fully serious when i asked for the data base to be blocked. as i knew it wouldn't happen. but i will say that the data base has become a double edged sword. in turn based it is becoming harder to surprise the opponent with black openings. i would assume in another 10 years or so there will be close to nothing left as far as new moves to use in turn based tournaments. if the data base ever did become massive enough to practically solve the game, turn based games would become somewhat pointless with out blocking the data base. but i could be wrong...

smeefpeef

Posted: Jan 3, 2009, 4:00 AM

Yes Mersenne, that possibility exists. But if you specify that no DB is to be used then it is up to the honor of the players to abide by that rule. Personally, I would say if you can't trust them to keep their word then any tournament with them is pointless anyway.

Do you think it better to punish everyone else for 60 days so that five people don't have to worry about cheaters?

Sheesh. I can't believe we're even discussing this.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jan 3, 2009, 4:06 AM

my bad,...i didnt start this goofy thread to stir up anger in people,.. so if you guys want to, we can drop the subject then... perhaps it was a bad idea to start such a topic of data base blocking.

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Jan 3, 2009, 11:05 AM

To use database at brainking Tournaments is normal.
If you see BRF Tournament Results - all strong players still can win some games as P2 player.
The database is just 10% of suggestion. I have not use any special database. More over, I use database to find position which is not occur before.
Because, I know that I play better, so in new position I have a chance to win as P2.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jan 3, 2009, 11:37 AM

yes i understand that. and players use the data base to set up strong white openings. mistakes can happen early on,..with a flawed or less strong white opening, black has a better chance to win as well.
if a player 2 had a data base and player 1 did not, then i feel this could better even the odds as well maybe.
of course this is a moot point since that will never happen.

in any event it comes down to black searching for a new move like a needle in a hay stack... and as the data base grows the needle gets smaller.

carson75

Home page
Posted: Jan 4, 2009, 6:55 AM

Hey, what gives! I just noticed that I cannot view any of my completed games tonight. Does this have something to do with some silly tournament that I wasn't good enough to get invited too? ARRRRGHH! I think someone needs to take a long walk off a short plank into shark infested seas for this blasphemy!

Replies: 21   Views: 105,308   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]