Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Go, Go, Let's Play Go
Replies: 6   Views: 38,311   Pages: 1   Last Post: Dec 3, 2008, 12:43 AM by: wvxmvn

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 6   Views: 38,311   Pages: 1  
richardiii

Go, Go, Let's Play Go
Posted: Nov 22, 2008, 6:26 AM

I know that it is not an in-a-row game, but I would deeply enjoy the game of Go here at this site. 3 board options; 19x19, 13x13, and 9x9, with komi and handicap options. It's such a great game for real-time play.

Some points to consider; it is one of the oldest games in existence, and a game extensively played across the world, AND a truly serious game, I believe many more players would be attracted to the site if it were offered for real-time play. AS such it can only make this site more popular.

I am nearly certain brainking could help on rules-code for calculating game results.

jhs55

Re: Go, Go, Let's Play Go
Posted: Nov 28, 2008, 12:07 AM

great Idea riii, really fun game indeed , and you make strong arguments for drawing in lots more players

lepews

Posted: Nov 29, 2008, 1:10 AM

I also agree. Go is totally relevant to Dweebo's Stone Games, and I can't think of any site that allows anyone to play it live.

The only downer is the amount of time it can take to play out a full game, so I think there are two things to think about:

- implementing a timer to limit the amount of time per move

- implementing a Pause function, so that a game can be halted, stored and restarted later when both players are available.

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Nov 29, 2008, 11:27 PM

> I also agree. Go is totally relevant to Dweebo's
> Stone Games, and I can't think of any site that
> allows anyone to play it live.

I have no problem with Go at this site, but there are MANY sites online to play it live. Search google for internet go server, or go to yahoo games. Therefore in my opinion I would rather focus my limited time on improving Pente and variants.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
watsu

Home page
Posted: Nov 30, 2008, 2:33 AM

I'm of two minds. I think Go would be a good addition to the site, but since Dweebo has a limited amount of time I think what he says makes a lot of sense.

Message was edited by: watsu at Nov 29, 2008 8:33 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
richardiii

Posted: Dec 1, 2008, 4:53 AM

Well that is disappointing. The point is not that Go is available at other sites for real-time play, but that this site is as much a social gathering point as it is a gaming site, and a game like Go would truly open the site for some real-time fun and thoughtful discussion.

I can find Go elsewhere true, but the close groups that have been formed here don’t normally hang out at sites like those. This site is a popular hang out for peeps we’ve all gotten to know. I want to play Go with all my pals here at Dweebo’s.

wvxmvn

Posted: Dec 3, 2008, 12:43 AM

it's probably presumptuous for me to make a suggestion, since i'm new here, but there is another option regarding GO. there is a GO variant, similar to pente in that it allows captures, where the goal is to place SEVEN of your stones in a row. captures and everything else are done according to conventional GO rules, except the game ends on the first 7-in-a-row [see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irensei for more in-depth discussion of rules.]
irensei would seem to be a good fit for this site, and might create a nice niche for pente.org within the GO community.
[there is a windows/Wine irensei program - in japanese but usable if you dont speak it - and more info available here: http://irensei.com/eng/]

Replies: 6   Views: 38,311   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]