Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Ever feel taken for points
Replies: 14   Views: 37,881   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 15, 2008, 11:27 PM by: kriswithak

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 14   Views: 37,881   Pages: 1  
kriswithak

Home page
Ever feel taken for points
Posted: Nov 1, 2008, 12:14 AM

Hate to play a set then some nubbie get my points with out a rematch

dick_tate

Re: Ever feel taken for points
Posted: Nov 1, 2008, 1:10 AM

Valid concern, Kris, but let's not start a riot against all noobs (myself included among them). Some just don't know better, and though it may require more patience (and typing) I know some noobs would appreciate polite guidance on etiquette and expections from the established social order here at a fine Pente site.

Of course, your concern would be moot if only you would quit losing to noobs.

karlw

Posted: Nov 1, 2008, 3:27 AM

where does it say in pente etiquette that after beating someone fairly in a set, you have to play another? i wasn't aware of that rule.

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
partica

Posted: Nov 3, 2008, 8:38 PM

Nope. I never feel taken for points.

I feel that I learn something in every game, win or lose. I am more than willing to offer up a few points for the experience and on the flip side am more than willing to take a few points as well. haha

If you feel taken for points, play unrated.

richardiii

Posted: Nov 6, 2008, 4:58 AM

I think a concern here is that some 'newbies' are not actually newbies in that they may seem to be that by having a low rating, but then when they play you their real skill comes to the front by snatching more points from you than they should have based upon their rating as apposed to their actual skill.

I have actually seen a newb play a few sets vs a moderately skilled player with a skill level that properly depicted their low rating. Then they drew me in to play them, and at that point revealed a vastly superior skill to the skill they had just displayed in prior sets with other players. There is a golfing term for this kind of play called ‘sandbagging.’

From my perspective I will play openings that offer lesser skilled or newer players a more fundamental or basic approach type opening. Such openings are almost always easier to defeat by experienced or expert players. By sandbagging the pseudo-newb can lure me into a situation I would not place myself into with someone I knew to be experienced. This has happened to me on multiple occasions, and has caused me to develop a type of paranoia when I face new players.

Whoever you are, you can bite my hairy arrrsse! Lol. You’re all evil tricksters trying to lure the lion by playing the lamb. If you want the bragging rites to say that you whipped my arse, then stand up and whip it straight up. Why try to ruse me into a trap?

I love playing newbies in a way that helps them learn, but u punks are fowling my trust of every newby that comes along.

skanadron

Posted: Nov 6, 2008, 5:23 AM

if you are worried about experienced players pretending to be noobs than i recommend only playing unrated games against provisional players

no one is going to act like they suck long enough to get a low rating with over 20 games just to trick you into giving them a chance at winning

your rating is high enough that it wouldn't go up if you beat a provisional player anyway

and if you do lose an unrated match to a noob you can always use the excuse that you let them win to show them a set up and teach them something, and give that as your reason for playing unrated

that way everyone wins

richardiii

Posted: Nov 6, 2008, 5:30 AM

Right and wrong! It's not about points, but i have indeed been suckered by sandbaggers on multiple occasions, even though i still won on most of those occasions.

)

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Nov 6, 2008, 4:38 PM

richard, I can understand your frustration about this.

Just a quick comment that at least with set-based ratings (which are coming) it will be a little harder to "sandbag" a player with the technique you describe, especially if you play as player 2 for the first game of the set.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
carson75

Home page
Posted: Nov 9, 2008, 1:02 AM

Me thinks Richard is just afraid to bring his A game against newbies because he is worried that others might study his moves in the game database and use it against him later. My advice is to bring the heat against all provisional newbies because they may not always be who the pretend to be. Arrrrrghh!

Message was edited by: carson75 at Nov 8, 2008 7:08 PM

richardiii

Posted: Nov 9, 2008, 7:50 AM

Ok, now it seems i am being hit everytime i come on with sandbaggers. What is that? now everyone wants to sucker me?

Forget it. u want to screw my trust of new players? that is very funny. i am such a sucker. i should have never said anything. what an idiot i was.

So what kind of payback shall i propose? hmmm.....

carson75

Home page
Posted: Nov 9, 2008, 9:45 AM

Payback? Hmmm... I say stab those deceitful scoundrels in the bum as they walk the plank into a tank of sharks. Arrrgh!

blackkllab

Home page
Posted: Nov 10, 2008, 2:57 PM

Kris,
I never feel that way. My rating is just a number and while it may have some relevance in measuring my skill at Pente its really no big deal. I've beaten some pretty highly ranked players, and been beaten by genuine noobs, (yourself included when you first started! Maybe I don't take it as seriously as some others here but hey, its just a game. I'm not going to work at it; I do it for fun. Also I think its good for my brain to excercise it a little, but when it stops being fun, I'll stop playing.

kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Nov 11, 2008, 8:19 PM

Black lab your so cool!!!
You are so right on target!! A game is for fun and fun and fun!! And by the way your one of my favorites to play!! Thanx, Buddy

jhs55

Posted: Nov 12, 2008, 10:00 AM

pente is not a game here, this is VERY serious stuff and stuff...

kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Nov 15, 2008, 11:27 PM

Richardiii, such a cool cat...wish i had those graphics!! So cute.

Replies: 14   Views: 37,881   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]