Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Petition to Remove C6 and html text from pente.org
Replies: 54   Views: 172,202   Pages: 4   Last Post: Nov 28, 2008, 6:40 AM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 54   Views: 172,202   Pages: 4   [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
karlw

Petition to Remove C6 and html text from pente.org
Posted: Oct 19, 2008, 10:11 PM

Fact: Pente.org is a site for pente and its variants
Defintion: A game is a pente variant if it involves the capture of pairs and the making of a pente (pente, keryo-, g-, d-, and boat, the main variants)
Converse: A game is not a pente variant if it does not involve the capture of pairs or the making of a pente
Fact: C6 does not involve the capture of pairs or the making of a pente
Therefore: C6 is not a pente variant
Therefore: C6 does not belong on pente.org
QED

-Karl

(I realize that this means Gomoku has to go as well, and to that I say, right on)

PS Subject heading notwithstanding, I do not want to abolish C6. I just want to begin a conversation about what C6 is doing on a pente site when it has nearly nothing to do about pente.

Message was edited by: karlw at Oct 19, 2008 7:55 PM

Message was edited by: karlw at Oct 26, 2008 2:48 AM

Message was edited by: karlw at Oct 27, 2008 10:44 AM

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Petition to Remove C6 from pente.org
Posted: Oct 19, 2008, 10:50 PM

it was originally called "dweebo's stone games"

which means any stone game involving stones and a grid i suppose.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
karlw

Posted: Oct 20, 2008, 1:57 AM

Point taken, zoey. But the fact is it is now known as pente.org and it seems like the general purpose of this site is to host pente games and pente players, so what is c6 doing here? If the only answer is "because it's fun," I don't think that's enough justification. I had a discussion with jaqueline about how if being fun to some people was a justfication for including it on this site, why not have fantasy football or tetris ripoffs featured as well as c6?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 20, 2008, 5:05 AM

Well, if we did decide to boot non Pente games (I'm not necessarily in favor of that) we should invite in Ninuki Renju to replace non capture games like C6 and Gomoku IMO. Nonetheless, I think it would be nice to have renju players come here to play renju- even tho it ain't a Pente variant by this definition. I think attracting the highest level N in a row grid game players to the site is more important than having a "pure" Pente and variants site, despite the URL name.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 20, 2008, 9:58 AM

there are some players that come here mainly for the c6. and then end up doing pente as well. i think it be unwise to remove the c6. if you don't like it don't play it. you do make a interesting case that if c6 is ok then any thing is ok such as tetris. personally i would love to see a tetris game made here that used stones in the shape of tetris pieces falling down the grid,..i would play it for sure. variety of games at this site will help add more players here perhaps. and so i see no reason to remove games based on a technicality that the sites name is pente.org so all games must have captures and pentes. this mentality restricts growth and flexibility of the sites potentials. just relax and play some pente karl
lets the others do as they wish.

I love C6 I love C6 C6 Rocks!I love C6 I love C6 I love C6 I love C6 I love C6

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
partica

Posted: Oct 20, 2008, 4:36 PM

I see nothing wrong with having C6 here.
I would not support a petition to remove C6 from Dweebos.

Fact: Pente.org is a site for pente and its variants AND whatever PETER wants to add to HIS site.

This is the silliest post IMO I have seen in a long time.

The reason C6 is here is because someone wanted it here and Peter indulged that desire. It was fairly easy to code given the existing code. It is a stone game. I think it gets people that are familiar with C6 into playing pente. Maybe it was an attempt to draw from that crowd I don't know.

There are a few stone games that would be interesting. I would also like to see GO here sometime in the future. Anything that would draw more people to this site is good IMO.

Man, what a way to start out the day. Thanks for the laugh Karl. Enjoy the thread!

partica

Posted: Oct 20, 2008, 4:43 PM

As for tetris and fantasy football. I think if Peter wanted to put it on this site then he is more than welcome. I think it might be an interesting twist if he did. Imagine the forums!!! Oh how interesting they would be then!

LOL

carson75

Home page
Posted: Oct 20, 2008, 11:53 PM

I petition to remove this forum thread from pente.org.

Fact: C6 is an awesome stone game.
Fact: Karl sucks at C6.
Fact: Karl hates anything that he sucks at.
Therefore: Karl hates C6 (despite its merits)

Solution: Keep C6 on pente.org and automatically boot Karl from any C6 table. That way Karl need not be annoyed with C6 and everyone else can enjoy the awesome game of C6 if they choose to do so.

lepews

Posted: Oct 21, 2008, 12:06 AM

bump!

+1 i'm with Cars lol

ukie60

Home page
Posted: Oct 21, 2008, 1:11 AM

+2 I'm with Carson....woooowhoooo....lol

karlw

Posted: Oct 21, 2008, 1:22 AM

I also agree with carson.

Fact: Partica and Carson are making fun of me.
Fact: Anyone who makes fun of me is jealous of me.
Therefore: Partica and Carson are jealous of me.
Solution: Partica and Carson should go on a self-imposed pente.org hiatus to hopefully learn the error of their ways and accept karlw as their one true god.

-K

carson75

Home page
Posted: Oct 21, 2008, 2:21 AM

Sorry Karl, but I have already accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) as my one true God. You will never sway me from Pastafarianism. I am a devout Spagnostic. That is why I dress like a pirate! If you don't know what I mean, then you should read up on the religion. I have attached a link below for your enlightenment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

P.S. You should definitely check out the correlation between the decline of pirates and global warming over the last couple of centuries. It is very educational.

haggis

Posted: Oct 21, 2008, 3:50 AM

I just want to say that if Karl sucks that bad at C6, he should play nothing else against me. Bob knows he kicks my butt every time I play him at pente and I want to feel what it's like to beat him at least once. OK, maybe two or three (dozen) times.

jhs55

Posted: Oct 21, 2008, 4:23 AM

guys come on , karlw is just amusing himself, whats the matter karlw, school not enough to keep you busy so you have to pick on connect-6, mybe your that dude on that show " the big bang theory " ?

karlw

Posted: Oct 21, 2008, 7:29 AM

i didn't know anyone watched that show. wow.

but i'm glad you were able to see through my farce (I'm not sure every one has so far).

Replies: 54   Views: 172,202   Pages: 4   [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]