Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Who is USA N2 ?
Replies: 123   Views: 370,606   Pages: 9   Last Post: Apr 20, 2009, 12:26 AM by: baddsixx9

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 123   Views: 370,606   Pages: 9   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
nosovs

Home page
Who is USA N2 ?
Posted: Sep 28, 2008, 7:25 PM

Hello
I can say that Richard is N1 in USA in pente.
But who is USA N2 ?
Brf ?
Karlw or Zoyek ?
How do you think ?

redsky_iv

Home page
Re: Who is USA N2 ?
Posted: Sep 28, 2008, 7:47 PM

Well zoeyk is much better than karl for sure.....

karlw

Posted: Sep 28, 2008, 8:49 PM

dagger in my heart...

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
redsky_iv

Home page
Posted: Sep 28, 2008, 9:43 PM

Huh???........Who gave karl a heart????

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 28, 2008, 10:33 PM

all brf has done is tie me once and maybe tie again this round,....so i don't know who is better,...but live i think i can take him since he is more of a turn based player,... maybe a speed player,.. but 20 minutes set i think i have an advantage by way of practice.
but,.. is all in theory.

karl has been my teacher, one of, but for sure the main influence in my mastering the game. that counts for a lot in my opinion.
can the student surpass the teacher? yes it happens.... have i surpassed karl? cant say yes exactly.

me and karl were looking at our comparative time frames and well,.. perhaps karl can better explain it than i can... on one hand you could say he is ahead,.. and on another you could say we are even. depending on what you base it on.

currently im doing a little bit better, however im at my peek of play,.. and karl has been taking a break,..
but during our match even tho we tied 3 sets in a row so far,.. his blacks have pushed me more moves generally.

of course if i just want more moves perhaps ill just do richards boston open knowing karl can beat it, but i would maximize black moves total.

karls seeming to knock the rust off now and picking up pace,...we'll see in the next month whos doing better i think.

Alex did you have an idea of a way to prove who is #2 player for Usa?

and,...dont forget about jayhawklov and melanie and spifster and up2ng. they all are very good.
the only difference between me karl vs thos guys/girl is that we have played more often in the last year.
it would be fun to both review and test us all out to grade our current level, and grade our over all level, and predict our future levels based on the first 2 results. or something.

and,..back to the 20 minute thing vs turn based,...real pente is live,..face to face on a real board,..turn based does not prove masters status. turn based can allow data tools to be used, where face to face live requires only your mind alone with out additional resources.

allthough 20 minutes live (via the internet) can still allow tools to be used,
its the closest we got other than speed via the internet.
and in speed it doesnt prove masters status either, becuase karl can beat richardiii in speed but as we know this means little in the bigger picture.

so 20 minutes is #1 test when face to face isnt available, in my opinion

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Sep 28, 2008 4:36 PM

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Sep 28, 2008 4:42 PM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 28, 2008, 10:53 PM

AND,...i hear by challenge "Spifster" for his "Silver Crown" for regular Pente.

Me n u spif in a match for the crown after me and Karlw finishes our match#2.

not sure if Dweebo will allow it but if he does, will you accept this challenge?

~Zoeyk

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
karlw

Posted: Sep 28, 2008, 11:08 PM

The silver crown is supposed to be for players rated under 1700, but by the time the tournament is over, the winner is usually in the 18-1900s. Funny, isn't it? Either way, neither you nor Spifster currently deserve the silver crown by any reckoning.

As to who is the 2nd best USA player, if we're going strictly by live rated 20 minute sets, i'd say it's extremely close between me and zoey, and maybe even a few others (pretty much the ones zoey listed).

But since when is 20-minute live pente the be-all end-all determiner of pro-pente skills? It's totally arbitrary. If we're talking about pro-pente in all its incarnations (live, tb, speed, etc.), and there's no reason we shouldn't, then I think I am the clear #2.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 28, 2008, 11:22 PM

well and there you have it,... karls #2
glad we settled that one

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 28, 2008, 11:32 PM

and alexander nosovsky,.. my names spelled zoeyk, not zoyek zoey, and the k is my intitial for my secret last name.

karlw

Posted: Sep 29, 2008, 1:06 AM

Do I detect a note of sarcasm in your post, zoey my boy?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Sep 29, 2008, 3:46 AM

Short of getting quite a few real time over the board tournaments happening again, there's probably no way to tell. Online games offer too much potential for assisted play- even without money on the table. Also, there's really no good way to compare past reds with present reds to see how they would stack up head to head as if they were all active at the same time. So, probably the only question we could attempt to answer right now is "who is the second best active US player" and again there would need to be some agreement as to whether speed, turn based, and/or 20 minute games would be factors in that decision.

All in all, not an easy question to answer, especially with the P1 advantage.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
carson75

Home page
Posted: Sep 29, 2008, 5:07 AM

Well if it is a battle for the "silver crown" I will step up and challenge anyone under a 1700 rating. I believe I am one of the best blue players up for the challenge. I think it is finally time for spifter to relinquish his crown to one of the aspiring up-and-comers. What do you think? Are there any other <1700 players out there that would like to challenge me for a shot for the silver title?

jackschidt

Posted: Sep 29, 2008, 5:08 AM

I watched karlw and up2ng put on a good show. karl had him until up2ng pulled a 50 pound rabbit out of his hat.

Game ID 34194139860316

lepews

Posted: Sep 29, 2008, 6:04 AM

Nice game, which shows up2ng is still right up there at pente. He's always been one of the guys I've really looked up to, as he's really really good at pente yet remains someone who doesn't gloat or puts himself above others.

I believe that if Jayhawklov and up2ng - to name just two - were more active over here, Karl wouldn't have such an easy time crowning himself #2 for the USA.

Of course what do I care - I'm the French Skunks #1

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Sep 29, 2008, 9:35 AM

I had created Super Pente Tournament at brainking
And I plan to invite two USA best players, two Russians (I hope Mr. Victor Barykin - last world champion in Pente - PBeM championships will agree to play). I think two Poland best players, and two places for other countries or strong players. Total 8 players, starting from new 2009 - 1 st January.
So, I'd like to invite N2 from USA (Richard already had invited). And other USA players (may be 1-2 additionally)are strong but not enougth to play SUPER Tournament.

Replies: 123   Views: 370,606   Pages: 9   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]