Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: new room color
Replies: 28   Views: 104,798   Pages: 2   Last Post: Oct 1, 2008, 2:03 PM by: redsky_iv

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 28   Views: 104,798   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
blackkllab

Home page
new room color
Posted: Sep 25, 2008, 8:43 PM

The new, blue room color is awful. It hurts my eyes. I have to wear sunglasses to play. The old green was better. Black would be better still. Why change it? I mean who looks at it?, at least before it was so bloody bright that you can't help it.

dweebo

Home page
Re: new room color
Posted: Sep 25, 2008, 8:52 PM

Oh my, I can't get it right on this color issue!

I'm sorry everyone, colors are not my thing. Please please please someone help me out here.

If anyone has good ideas for a color, propose it here. Give me actual colors, in either hex format like is used for html, or RGB values. Or point me to a web site/image with a color that you think would be good.

At least now I've made it easy to change the color easily without having to put up a new release. So I can experiment easily enough if anyone helps me out here.

I guess it would be possible also to let everyone choose their own color, but I'm not too excited to code that up just yet.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 1:18 AM

i agree it should be a "black" back ground,
and white, or slightly greyed text, but almost very white text.
also it would look stealthy if you changed the current buttons in lobby and tables to the 3d style you have on the homepage.

and maybe on the black back ground a sillouette of the greek design from th original pente boards frame done in a dark grey, or something would be stylish and fitting and not too disractive.

my 2 cents

ps,....you can get the frame image from my website on the vote page,...

and if you do the 3d buttons do them in black/grey and white, the bright blue would be too over powering on a black and white page i think.

if people want color they have the tan board and can make a pop of colors by changing stone colors,... and really the focus should be the board and the stones so i think this works good.

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Sep 25, 2008 7:19 PM

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Sep 25, 2008 7:21 PM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
redsky_iv

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 1:26 AM

Ok wherever text appears, the background should be white as always.....no need to get fancy there, cuz if its not broke, don't fix it. The colored parts: 1st the problem is one of brightness, not color.....look at the main page green color across the top....its dark enough that it doesn't hurt the eyes, even with the contrast of white, yellow, etc. running through it. Whatever palette choice of green you have there looks to be a winner (I realize that there's a 'fade' incorporated there, so just go with something in the middle of that spectrum methinks), you could use blue, grey, brown, pretty much anything but 'brighter' colors like yellow, pink, etc.....suggestions from the wheel-0066, 0066cc, 3333cc, 999933, 6600, 990000, 663366.....colors with a good dose of black/grey mixed in to bring the brightness down if you will.....

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 1:33 AM

white as allways? we are talking about the lobby and tables not the home page. and it was allways green not white.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
redsky_iv

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 1:35 AM

I thought you were talking about where text is typed, notation expressed.....were you referring to the colored parts then I take it? Difficult to know what each other's referring to here unfortunately.....

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 1:36 AM

yes the back ground and any text on it

example;

Welcome, zoeyk. The game room is large (351 kb) and may take a few minutes to load. Applet Troubleshooting.

(Version 4.1.6.3)

Table 1, ext..

the time clock...

these are lobby examples...

on the table;....

Game:

Table type:

20:00 Rated timer:20/0 examples

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Sep 25, 2008 7:36 PM

redsky_iv

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 1:38 AM

Hmmmmmm I don't like the black background idea myself....but I'm an artist. Without getting overly presumptuous and playing 'monster pente website' I stick to my original suggestion of keeping with color(s), but simply incorporating a darker shade(s) to counter the bright effect which has been the source of contention. Again, suggestions from the wheel-0066, 0066cc, 3333cc, 999933, 6600, 990000, 663366.....colors with a good dose of black/grey mixed in to bring the brightness down.......personally I don't feel like people 'should' be able to change the colors etc....if thats what you want then thats cool D, but its not a necessary thing by any means. Just tryin' to keep the pork out of the bill if you will lol :P

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 1:55 AM

you may very well be right that the only despute is over brightness. and at the moment it basically is,..but when we find a darker color,..some people may like the color, and some may not,..thats the interesting thing about humans and colors. nearly any color will not satisfy all in the world.

i think "Black" was proposed becuase,

A- its dark enough.
B- no one can say they dont like the color becuase its not a color, they can only despute that it needs more color at that point.
C- it is the very least distractive you can make it to not pull attention away from the board and the stones during play.

now but some people might find black a morbid and depressing anti-color,..allthough i just find it to be neat and clean and none distractive.

hard to make warmth with out making it bright, but it can be done. dark cherry tart is a color,...err at kelly moore paint store. lol well its dark yet warm.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 2:11 AM

dweebo can you replace background color with a image? just currius, and assume that you can.

redsky_iv

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 3:32 AM

Last point to make re: black as a choice is that when the eyes have to make that radical of an adjustment to focus from one field to another, they become strained just as they do with too bright of a field. Putting black behind the field(s) where we type to each other and where the play notation is would be a bit much in the way of contrast.

Has anyone ever tinkered around with the color options on their media player here? I've always found that the colors with the darker shades were the only ones I could deal with....anyone else besides me and zoey have any input?

ukie60

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 5:03 AM

Guys come on...He is only one...He cant make everybody happy....He is doing very good job. He is working hard.Everyone wants complain. Just enjoy this site. Play ...say thank you to Peter....

redsky_iv

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 5:33 AM

Oh I forgot to mention....I totally got used to the light green before the newest change too.....maybe its all in our heads and no matter what it'll make waves initially?

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 6:18 AM

mmm no it was too light

mike321

Posted: Sep 26, 2008, 8:42 AM

the blue is fine,,,,,,,,, *****, *****, *****

Replies: 28   Views: 104,798   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]