Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: When Opponent is only moving in one game
Replies: 9   Views: 187   Pages: 1   Last Post: Sep 4, 2024, 8:54 PM by: matt_123

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 9   Views: 187   Pages: 1  
matt_123

When Opponent is only moving in one game
Posted: Sep 2, 2024, 12:50 AM

I'm new. Sorry for all my questions. Thank you all for your answers so far.

Let's say, hypothetically, you and an opponent have 2 games going on. You're the black stones in one game, and you're the white stones in the other, but you're opponent is only moving in Game 1, let's say, and you and they each have about a 50/50 chance to win Game 1. Let's say it's not looking promising for them in Game 2. It doesn't mean they won't win Game 2, but it's not as promising at the moment. Is that a strategy that they are hoping for Game 2 to, perhaps, time out? Or, what might the reasoning there why they are not moving? In Game 1, there is consistent moving but not in Game 2. Thank you!

titok

Re: When Opponent is only moving in one game
Posted: Sep 2, 2024, 7:47 AM

If it's inconsistent then maybe they just had a few minutes to play. I'll often play for 3 minutes at a time, but I don't pay attention to which matches

If it's consistent then maybe they're trying to temporarily artificially inflate their score -- it won't work in the long run, if they time out then you'll still get the points for winning the match, and you'll get more points than expected if they've managed to create an artificially high score when they time out. So in the long run their score will be lower than otherwise.

Also, you only get 10 days of vacation time per year, so if they waste it on playing games with their score then later when they really don't have time to play, they'll time out on games they would have won.

matt_123

Posted: Sep 2, 2024, 6:47 PM

Thank you Titok for the explanation. I don't know what you mean by everyone only gets 10 vacation days a year. What does that mean?

I'm, not sure I follow the "wasting" it on playing games scenario either. Thank you.

matt_123

Posted: Sep 2, 2024, 7:05 PM

Hi Titok, Now we're down to 2 and a half days, I think I'm understanding a little more, and correct me if I'm wrong. If I pick up a game that says 4 day, I thought the 4 days meant that if i move today, my opponent has 4 days to move. Once opponent moves, then I've got 4 days to move.
OR is the game an entire FOUR days?

So, if he wins Game 1, but he doesn't move at all on Game 2, that makes his rating go down more?
Sorry for all the questions. I'm not familiar with the site yet.

matt_123

Posted: Sep 2, 2024, 7:25 PM

Hi Titok, Is it possible that my opponent might finally move when there's only maybe a minute left, hoping that I won't be online, and then the game times out on me and then I lose?

matt_123

Posted: Sep 2, 2024, 7:37 PM

Hi Titok, That's what he's doing! He's not moving until the last minute, and he's won at least four games that way! If he beats me like that, I'm going to post the coward's name in here. He beat this one player and there were only about 3 stones in the game. So, does that mean my rating will go down because of a coward? If someone has to cheat to win, it's a shallow victory.

titok

Posted: Sep 2, 2024, 9:09 PM

Hi!

If your timer is set to 3 days, then each time it's your turn, you have 3 days to move, and weekend doesn't count for that time.

So if you check the site every day, or even every other day, then no matter what your opponent does, you'll notice when it's your turn, and you won't time out. He can't make you lose this way, his actions don't affect your score at all.

When the timer goes down to zero, it starts to eat away at your vacation time. An hour is added to the time you have to make your move, and 1 hour is subtracted for your yearly vacation time. The vacation time shows up on your profile.

So if he never makes his next move, all his vacation time will be used up and then he will time out and then you'll win and get your points.

And if he does make a move then you can make your move and get your points that way.

matt_123

Posted: Sep 3, 2024, 6:00 PM

Hi Titok

I don't see my vacation time in my profile. Where is it located?

Also, my profile shows I have 2 "Draws". How can that be? Each game has had a completion other than the game you and I have been talking about.

Also, I won the first game in that set against the semi-non-moving opponent. The ball is in my court on the other game, and I'm hesitant to move out of concern that he won't move until the game times-out. If I were to cancel the set, would that screw up my rating? Or, would it affect my win from the first game? I'm 1689 currently, and he's 1834.

Thank you!

s2pac

Posted: Sep 4, 2024, 3:20 AM

I’m going jump into the fray and try to make this as simple as possible based on my experience.
1) If each player wins a game the set is a draw. The lower ranked player will gain points (increasing their ranking); the higher ranked player will lose points (lowering their ranking).
2) If a player wins both games they win the set. The winners ranking increases and the losers ranking decreases with the amount of points based on an algorithm I’m too dumb to understand.
3) Don’t quit a game. The best you can do is a draw.
4) As long as you make a move in the given timeframe YOU WILL NOT TIME OUT. If the game parameter is 3 days, every time you make a move you will get 3 more days AFTER your opponent makes their move.
5) If a player prefers to only make moves in one game at a time in the set it doesn’t matter. It will all come out in the wash after the set is complete.
6)Vacations are a little confusing and a waste of time as far as I’m concerned. The numbers of days agreed upon to respond with a move should be the parameter for the game. Giving people extra time (vacations) just muddies the waters and prolongs the time you have to endure troll players I have complained about in an earlier post.

matt_123

Posted: Sep 4, 2024, 8:54 PM

Thank you s2pac,

Those are great explanations. Thank you!!

Replies: 9   Views: 187   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]