Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Live Pente games online
Replies: 6   Views: 2,100   Pages: 1   Last Post: Sep 3, 2024, 5:36 PM by: matt_123

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 6   Views: 2,100   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
Live Pente games online
Posted: Jun 26, 2024, 7:19 PM

There have been various efforts over the past few years by players here to get a weekly livegame night event going, but more often than not, such efforts fizzle out after a few weeks (if they even have that much success). Historically, this site was late in adopting turn based Pente in comparison with other sites like Brainking, IYT, pente.net and Richard's PBeM site. Now, it seems as though games here are almost exclusively turn based. Ironically, there's another game site where there are more active live Pente playing accounts in the past 2 weeks than the number of active TB Pente playing accounts here in the past month, so the issue is not that no one plays the game live anymore. So, what thing or things would encourage more live Pente playing here? Tournaments? Players awaiting opponents in the live room? Prizes and/or ladders? More than one meet up time per week to choose from? An influx of more live game players? Something else?

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

s2pac

Re: Live Pente games online
Posted: Jun 27, 2024, 11:08 PM

I play Pente on my phone app. The few times I’ve played live, at least once a game, my intended position is inadvertently changed as I lift my finger off the screen. It can be very frustrating. It’s difficult enough competing against players as it is; shooting one self in the foot makes it unbearable.
A submit button, like their is in tb games, would do wonders (for me) in correcting this problem. I would definitely be interested in playing live games with a submit button option. Not sure if it’s possible to add one and what, if any, backlash there’d be from live game purists.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 27, 2024, 11:55 PM

There's no universal agreement on that point. Here, we have an undo move feature, which some players (many) will grant for a clear misclick or an overlooked block. Some players have historically refused to ask for or grant undos. Some sites, such as vint.ee don't even have it as an option. Others, such as boardgamearena.com have a feature where one can enable a confirmation of each move before it gets submitted (both in live and in turn based games). The previous owner of this site (dweebo) was opposed to the idea of being able to place a stone, look at the position and then potentially change one's mind about a move in a live game situation. On the other habd, my first regular over the board opponent and I would regularly place a stone and hold our finger on it until we were certain it was the move we wanted to make. Lifting our finger singled the finality of that move. So, both in live online play and live over the board play there are undo or confirmation options on some sites or between some players, but it's not a universal thing. Will it be added to the phone app? Hard to say.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
revelinred

Posted: Jun 28, 2024, 4:50 PM

Honestly I would love to play Live pente. I like turnbased but some people take forever to take their turn. It can be days sometimes and that's no fun. I would play just for the fun of it.

matt_123

Posted: Sep 3, 2024, 2:58 AM

I love playing Pente when it's more than 3 or 4 people. It's awesome! Many people are only aware of playing the game against one person, but it's so much better with others.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Sep 3, 2024, 11:26 AM

@ matt_123 - to each his, her, or their own, but personally I can't stand multiplayer Pente. Specifically because games can end with one player making a move which chooses which one of the other players wins. For example, I make a winning threat, the next player ignores it and also makes a winning threat and a third player has a choice between blocking my winning threat and letting the next player win, blocking the other player's winning threat and letting me win, or doing neither and letting me win.

matt_123

Posted: Sep 3, 2024, 5:36 PM

I agree with you on that point Watsu. It only takes one player to make a decision on who will win with 2 winning threats on the table. Perhaps some ground rules could be established at the beginning stating that the first person with the winning threat should win.

Replies: 6   Views: 2,100   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]