Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: KotH
Replies: 5   Views: 5,965   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jun 16, 2023, 3:42 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 5,965   Pages: 1  
bob322bob

KotH
Posted: Jun 10, 2023, 3:11 PM

King of the Hill is not true. Twice now I have been usurped in Connect6 turn-based without losing or splitting a set, or not playing often enough, or not accepting a challenge; any of the things listed in the rules.

madmike

Re: KotH
Posted: Jun 10, 2023, 3:59 PM

you can get passed on the hill when another player wins games. The other player does not have to beat you to move up. Only has to beat the person he is playing against. i am sure this happens a lot when there are fewer steps on the ladder.

bob322bob

Posted: Jun 10, 2023, 4:51 PM

Like I said, the name is false. In a real King of the Hill scenario, like we used to play when I was a kid, there can only be one King, and he cannot be replaced without being defeated head-to-head. The other kids couldn't share the summit, couldn't displace you by beating some other kid downslope from the top. All challengers had to work their way up the hill and then take on, and defeat the King.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 14, 2023, 2:36 PM

It's unlikely to be changed from how it is now, and IMO should not be a high priority to do that. For one thing, it encourages players in the hill to play more games in order to gain the top position. Anyone who wants to hold the top position will simply need to keep pace.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
bob322bob

Posted: Jun 16, 2023, 9:09 AM

Didn't say anything about making a change, simply made a statement of truth, and have a perfectly fine pace, thank you. The recent monarch of the U.K. knew the value of discerning observation, God rest her soul. I fully realize what is. The rules do not have anything in them about being caught up to or passed while maintaining all the written parameters. If it is desired to have things a certain way, that's fine. The name should reflect that fact for accuracy's sake, I won't get into personal ideas of honesty. The way it is now, it is, at best, misleading. If it is desired to let players gain a share of a level, then the listing should at least be correct in chronology, last to arrive is not first in line. Seniority. Time in grade and time in service. If of equal rank, longer time in grade is senior. First in line. Listed above. If rank and time in grade are equal, greater time in service is senior. First in line. Listed above. Losing place while doing all that is written should not happen.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 16, 2023, 3:42 PM

Honestly, I don't have a preference as to whether the rules or the name should get changed in order for it to be more accurate. However, I doubt either will happen. There are tons of live hills which have unclaimed crowns. How one would arrange for a showdown for the crown in live play should that become a rule is beyond me at this point. It used to be difficult enough for players in different time zones to arrange for and play live tournament games here back when that was a thing.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 5   Views: 5,965   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]