Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: A memorial Pente puzzle for Rollie Tesh - RIP Rollie
Replies: 2   Views: 1,530   Pages: 1   Last Post: Apr 10, 2019 10:14 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 2   Views: 1,530   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
A memorial Pente puzzle for Rollie Tesh - RIP Rollie
Posted: Apr 4, 2019 6:13 PM

It was with great sadness that I learned last night that Rollie Tesh passed away earlier this year. He was truly a Pente legend, having first played the wedge as P1, successfully analysed the hammer position, created the awesome Pente puzzle Quincunx, proposed the Pente variant Keryo Pente and won the 1983 Pente Championship in Boston among other Pente achievements.

https://www.forevermissed.com/rollietesh/

I can think of no more fitting tribute I can make to his Pente greatness than to post for you here as a puzzle the only live game he played here as a demonstration of how far outside the box you would need to think to beat his live first player Pente game even when he was rusty. The second player can make a move somewhere in this game to guarantee herself a sure win in nine moves. Can you find a winning move (and the continuation) against Tesh's player one? PM me if you think you know the answer to this puzzle. Now, if your name isn't Scott Justice, do you think you could have found a player two win in a timed over the board game against him in his prime?

Tom Braunlich told me in an email that Rollie's sisters "put his ashes in balloons, filled them with helium, and let them go."

I don't want to play non tournament rules games. If you take one of my unrated invites, play tourney

watsu

Home page
Re: A memorial Pente puzzle for Rollie Tesh - RIP Rollie
Posted: Apr 6, 2019 6:54 AM

Just to clarify here, the win in nine moves includes the move which diverges from the line this game took and assumes that player one prolongs the game as much as possible. And, I don't need a complete beginning to end solution, just the first five moves by player two will be sufficient.

I don't want to play non tournament rules games. If you take one of my unrated invites, play tourney
watsu

Home page
Re: A memorial Pente puzzle for Rollie Tesh - RIP Rollie
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 10:14 PM

Pente_gon was the first to reply with the solution I had in mind here. Congratulations!

Replies: 2   Views: 1,530   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]