Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Length of time on site?
Replies: 1   Views: 53,417   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 13, 2018, 3:14 PM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 1   Views: 53,417   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
Length of time on site?
Posted: Dec 12, 2017, 9:03 PM

I think the beginners invitation idea is a great addition to the site, but not all who post or accept invitations there are that new to the site. Sometimes I see an unfamiliar name and wonder whether they are a recent arrival, whether we have different schedules or whether they just haven't visited here that frequently. Perhaps a list of players who have registered in the past month would also be helpful for beginners to find each other?

Message was edited by: watsu at Dec 12, 2017 9:04 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

rainwolf

Home page
Re: Length of time on site?
Posted: Jan 13, 2018, 3:14 PM

I somehow missed this post.

From experience, and while a list might be helpful, it's that little amount of extra effort that makes it not so useful for a newbie. The open invitations had to be restricted because of overly eager and inconsiderate new players who would just sweep up everything they saw. The 2-for-1 rule I imposed either didn't get the message across or proved too bothersome.

At first glance, these beginner invitations, where the server just posts a new one for the one that was taken, are the low-effort/-cost solution that seems to work. Eager player replenish the pool as fast as it's being drained, and it seems to have the side-effect of new players playing each other more rather than facing more experienced players and getting shut down too fast.

Replies: 1   Views: 53,417   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]