Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Android app
Replies: 8   Views: 60,602   Pages: 1   Last Post: May 15, 2016, 8:15 PM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 8   Views: 60,602   Pages: 1  
rainwolf

Home page
Android app
Posted: Apr 28, 2016, 10:11 AM

Dear fellow Pentegonians,

I have created an, albeit long overdue, Android app to play your favorite turn-based games here at Pente.org. There are a few things to consider:
- This is an unofficial release for testing purposes. If this goes smooth, I'll post it to the Google Play Store. Kindly don't spread this apk beyond Pente.org yet.
- This might not work at all, I don't have an Android phone, so fingers crossed
- Account registration is something that will come in the final release, but is not yet included,
- I am not sure if doing notifications is feasible without procuring a phone, that will have to wait a bit longer,
- I welcome all and any feedback here in this thread, or at rainwolf (at) submanifold.be if it's a lot.

Without further ado, here's the link to the apk. Happy playing!

dweebo

Home page
Re: Android app
Posted: Apr 28, 2016, 9:39 PM

Hey that's awesome!! I'll have to check it out.

Pente Rocks!
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 29, 2016, 5:38 AM

Great

Things I wonder about is
- Does it start up at all?
- Are there elements not visible or overlapping? Or not working at all?

I'd love to see a screenshot or picture of someone using it on Android.

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Apr 29, 2016, 5:46 PM

Installed and started a set with you. So far so good. I placed a stone and then tapped the arrow buttons to see what they did, after that the submit button didn't work until I re-placed the stone.

Pente Rocks!
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 30, 2016, 6:56 PM

The fact that it starts is a big sigh of relief Thank you for taking the time.
The arrow buttons are there to cycle through the game one move at a time. They also undo any move that was played and intended to submit.

madmike

Posted: May 3, 2016, 4:17 PM

using droid turbo with android 5.1
1. cannot reply to messages, receive message saying " Unfortunately, penteLive has stopped." click ok and am taken back to home screen.
2. No obvious method to delete messages.
3. Tried to accept a public invitation ,tried Rainwolf,raiders53 and honkls:,received message "You cannot accept an open invitation again after you post one." Confuses me. There is a "Post Now" option that takes me to the post invitations screen. This option seems to work. The invitation shows on desktop browser.
4. Does "Active Games" mean it is my turn?
5. And does "Non-Active Games" mean it is my opponents turn?

hope these comments help, will reply with more if I find any.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: May 7, 2016, 7:35 AM

Hey madmike,

Thank you for testing, and pardon the late reply, I was away from my computer until now.

- I just uploaded a new version which fixes the reply message-bug.
- You can delete messages by opening them and tapping the trash bin in the upper right corner. I am not familiar with Android UIs, is there a more "usual" way to delete messages?
- The layout is set to mimic the website, where games where it is your turn are grouped under "Active Games", and the games where it's the opponent's turn are grouped under Non-Active games. I think I will make this more literal in a future release.

For mobile clients, I added a restriction that forces players to post an open invitation after they accepted 2. They can also build up credit that way, after posting 3 open invitations, they are able to accept 6 open invitations.
When you received that message when you tried to accept open invitations, were you able to already accept 2 before getting that message?
I will change that text in a future release, suggestions are welcome.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: May 8, 2016, 5:13 PM

I released the app in the Google Play Store. The dropbox link I provided above doesn't work anymore, I'll use the play store as an update channel.

The only major thing that's missing (from the iOS client) are notifications. That's next on my ToDo-list.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: May 15, 2016, 8:15 PM

The latest version has notifications now. If your apps don't update automatically, you might want to grab it from the store.

Replies: 8   Views: 60,602   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]