Home » Forum Home » Development

Topic: Testers needed - set-based ratings
Replies: 35   Views: 101,263   Pages: 3   Last Post: Feb 15, 2009, 10:41 PM by: baddsixx9

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 35   Views: 101,263   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
lepews

Re: Testers needed - set-based ratings
Posted: Oct 16, 2008, 4:31 PM

Just a suggestion:

you could have an intrusive dialog that comes up everytime at the beginning and end of game 1 reminding you that it is a set.

Then, using a cookie, you could make it that this dialog wouldn't appear again once a user clicks on a button in that dialog labeled 'Do not show this again'

Much like setting a preference, and this could be added to the user account settings in case one wanted to reset it.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 16, 2008, 10:22 PM

ok its thursday! so every one get over to the test site and lets start testing!

Z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
watsu

Home page
Posted: Nov 3, 2008, 3:10 PM

Anyone been doing this? The few times I've dropped in, no one is there, and I haven't seen any progress reports except the one upthread. Maybe scheduling a testing event tournament or something?

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
dweebo

Home page
Posted: Nov 6, 2008, 4:55 PM

> Anyone been doing this? The few times I've dropped
> in, no one is there, and I haven't seen any progress
> reports except the one upthread. Maybe scheduling a
> testing event tournament or something?

I suggest if you want to help with the testing that you go to the main lobby at pente.org and find someone there who is willing to help. Then both of you head over to test.pente.org. Having a tournament at the test site is a good idea as well, but not sure that will happen.

I also just put up the most recent code at the test site, I have added a new popup dialog box that appears after the 1st game is completed (and that can be ignored after the 1st view). Haven't tested that much yet.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Dec 1, 2008, 10:28 AM

hey lets get on testing this for pente's sake! lol

who will work with me on this?

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
dweebo

Home page
Posted: Feb 12, 2009, 3:25 PM

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the response to my call for help testing the set-based ratings feature.

After all the discussion in the forums for years about how great having set-based ratings would be, and all that time debating the merits, I finally take the time to develop it (many many hours of work), and the time to put up a test.pente.org site for people to try it out, and write a detailed post about how it will work and what testing is needed, and hardly anyone has gone to test it.

This is a feature that is READY TO RELEASE right now, but needs to be fully tested. This is something many of you have asked for, so why not give back by helping to ensure it works as designed? It won't take long, just email a friend through the site, setup a time to both be on and play around with it.

Or if you don't have any friends , no problem! Just create yourself a 2nd account at test.pente.org, login to the site as both accounts (might have to use two separate web browsers) and play games against yourself trying out the different options. After all that is how I do my testing.

This site is too big for just me to take care of, but it is hard currently for me to share much of the work. This is one area where you all can help to make pente.org a better place to play, please help!

Thanks,
-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
baddsixx9

Home page
Guinea Pigs R Us
Posted: Feb 12, 2009, 10:05 PM

Will do D.....didn't realize the doppelganger thing was what you were lookin' for here.......

baddsixx9

Home page
Re: Guinea Pigs R Us
Posted: Feb 13, 2009, 12:06 AM

Hey D......my login no workey at the test site.
Epic Failure Pictures, Images and Photos

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2009, 1:32 AM

create a new account at test.pente.org
-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
baddsixx9

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2009, 1:37 AM

Derrrrr.....lol Thanks!!
Failure Pictures, Images and Photos

baddsixx9

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2009, 1:58 AM

Ok I was able to test regular play, resignation and cancellation options, board options and most stuffs inbetween......everything worked fine and my only suggestion so far is a blurb in the popup box upon completion of game 1 explaining the fact that you as a player have not only agreed to finish game 2 of the set, but that your ratings will be adversely affected if you don't complete the set. As it looks now I could anticipate confusion for a newbie. I'll do more tomorrow and this weekend if'n I get time.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2009, 12:18 PM

ill spend some time on this too,...
ill drag someone with me,..

s3v3n

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2009, 5:33 PM

dweebo wrote:
> 4. p1 wins g1, g2 = draw, p1 wins set
> 5. p2 wins g1, g2 = draw, p2 wins set
> 6. g1 and g2 draw = drawn set

hmm i wonder, is it really possible to draw a pente game? for me, personally, these three variants dont make any sense and could be skiped...

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2009, 5:39 PM

thanks to the response so far, i'm glad some people are helping with this now!!

of course it is possible to draw a pente game, fill the entire board and the game has to end.

it is not likely to happen for pente, but the set-based ratings apply to ALL games, including c6 where draws are likely and must be supported.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
s3v3n

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2009, 6:17 PM

> of course it is possible to draw a pente game, fill the entire board and the game has to end.

yes, i know that, but its only theoretical situation, which, i suppose, cant happen in normal game..
anyway, i havent thought about c6 or gomoku.. will players gain/lose same amount of points when set will end with result 2-0 as when it end with 1,5-0,5 ?

Replies: 35   Views: 101,263   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]